Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
If you'd gone with the 93-95 cognitio hub, you could have run a mechanical speedometer. Still can run 6-pot pistons from a 98, and new rotors are available on eBay. That said, very nicely done!

Charles.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you'd gone with the 93-95 cognitio hub, you could have run a mechanical speedometer. Still can run 6-pot pistons from a 98, and new rotors are available on eBay. That said, very nicely done!

Charles.
Thank you Charles for the comment and the forum.
I'm a new member and a green-thumb, so when I ordered the hub I didn't know about different types, so I just asked Cognito for " a CX500 to GSXR conversion hub". That's what they gave me. I still don't know what 93 95 98 refer to but I will find out.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
Years;1993-1995, 1998.

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well, the rotor spacing is the same for all years. The mechanical drive speedo version has a narrower hub and offset rotors. The modern wheels hubs are wider with flat rotors. In either case, the rotor spacing is the same (even though the hub spacing is different). You can, I believe, use an earlier rim on later forks, up to a point. There's some point where the GSXR gets larger diameter rotors. After that, no more easy swapping because the brake pads may overhang the rotor.

Charles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spoked wheel conversion ...

I'll add my small amount of progress to the list. I bought a 2003 Yamaha R1 front end for $250 and picked up the Cognito Moto front hub/rim, and the recommended GSXR front discs, still waiting on the tires to come this week. (I'm waiting to do the rear until the end of the project, which I suspect will be a while from now!)
Bicycle part Vehicle Sports equipment
Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part Tire

·
Registered
832 Posts
........................ (I'm waiting to do the rear until the end of the project, which I suspect will be a while from now!)
Nice work. Are you doing spoke wheel on rear also? If so, how....cognito hub with disc conversion....other?
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice work. Are you doing spoke wheel on rear also? If so, how....cognito hub with disc conversion....other?
Cheers
Yes CXapatite, I will be using the Cognito hub with disc conversion for the rear. Cognito's shop is only about two hours from my house, I plan to take a trip to check out their other goodies. I will say, the quality of the hub I bought, is top notch! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update on the CX, test fitted the Yamaha R1 front end and Cognito Moto hub and wheel. Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Reactions: Adam312

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just finished building my new wheels. Very happy with the results :)
The hubs are original CX500 (front is twin disc). The rims are Borrani copies in original CX500 sizes. i.e 19 x 2.15 and 18 x 2.15.
The spoke rings and spokes are from Cafe Racer Kits (CRK) in the UK. I found them great to deal with. I described the rims I'd be using and they had spokes custom made to suit.
I'll be using Dunlop K81 TT100 tyres for a classic look

Spoke Bicycle wheel Wheel Rim Tire

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally I think I'm going this way since is what I know and what I have by the truck loads..

if the rims end up been to wide I can always get them narrow down, the same way I use to get them wide them up for the Big GS's, now the question is what radio is optimal but I have one of each of the drives bmw makes..
Auto part Family car

More than anything because I want to build mine with at least 5 more inches of ground clearance (street Curv Hooping for now) and the Paralevers work far better than single join shafts..
Auto part Bicycle part Crankset Wheel Bicycle drivetrain part

I have drive shafts in different lengths too and let's say I have a Few wheels and if I need more I can get them with little to no trouble, (sadly much to freaking strong for the CX size and duty but I can run them tubeless..
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Spoke Wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best CX500 project by far for me, You sir are a huge inspiration. Btw, what inner tubes did You use, and what happened to the hammer rear shocks?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.