Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Flipper, that's a cool Royal Enfield vibe! I like it!

Charles.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I lust for wire spoked wheels. In my fantasy Cafe Racer, I find many exotic details that
have made me demented. First, I envision a CX/Gl 650 engine in an earlier frame with a shorter
wheelbase and dual shocks just for the look. Next, the wire spoke wheels, and an aluminum fuel
tank. The exhaust exits up hill with reverse cone megaphones, as quiet as I can make it. The
final drive is the lowest ratio I can get (500 turbo ring and pinion?), hopefully installed in a
650 shaft housing. Brakes just need to be adequate, although I favor dual discs just for the look.
I do like the look of a bum-stop seat reminiscent of the racing seats of the early 70's. A bikini
fairing is enough for my eventual project. I am a fanatic of light weight. I will spend what ever
it takes to reduce weight since I am using fantasy money. Finally, I think I can effect enough
cosmetic magic to disguise the engine so no one will be able to guess the manufacture if they are not
real familiar with the CX/Gl line.

When I ran a cost estimate to do something similar with my CBX, I gave up. Now I am wondering if I
can find a project similar to my fantasy, that someone has given up on. You think?

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
You can't change the ring and pinion. Why would you want lower gearing? I suppose you could try fitting the CX500 gear and clutch basket into the 650 motor, basically the reverse of what most people do to a 500 engine, but I'm not sure what you're after. The 650 motor is geared just about perfect.

Charles.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
the cx clutch is a pain in the 650 motor i have done it and it takes a bunch of machining

the better way to get it moving is to use the cx trans in the 650 motor with the 650 clutch (for the power)

way better wheelies and off the line launch

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You're saying to use the 500 transmission in the 650 motor? That's an interesting idea. Hmm... it would be possible to use the 650's 5th gear as well, I'm thinking, so you could have an overdrive gear... bring the revs up everywhere, yet still be able to cruise comfortably. Hmmm, I like this idea...

Charles.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
My dad did. He fit a 650 gear into a 500 transmission, in a 500 motor. However, it required grinding of the case for clearance. Hmm... I wonder where that engine is. He never put it back together, it was just a short block. Must still be at Mom's house.

Charles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
I always like spoked wheels and first thing was to swap comstars to spokes, and here is what i did.
1. GL1000 78' hubs (instead of cognitomoto expensive hub)
2. Excel Takasago custom drilled 40h
3. Yamaha R6 break disc adapter (CNC)
Tire Spoke Rim Alloy wheel Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

·
Registered
289 Posts
hi guys!
what from bike fit spoke wheels for transplantation on stock wheels cx standard ?
thanks

Отправлено с моего SM-J105H через Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Front wheel is plug and play. 1979-1981 CB750K (DOHC) front rim bolts right up with stock axle, uses the same brake rotor and everything. Rear is the hard part.

Charles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might as well throw in my contribution, the big dog 23" spoked rim. Motosynthesis supplied the ring and laced everything up. Had it trued and balanced locally. Its an Avon tire that is V rated for up to 149mph. Its seen 141 and feels very stable. It looks funny but its fast so who cares!

Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle Bicycle Lake

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'll throw mine in.

2.75 x 18 Sun rim, chromed spokes, and a Cognito GSXR conversion hub for my current 82 CX500 Shadow sportster build.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Tire Automotive tire

I have been taking videos of the build and here's one of me lacing wheel.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.