Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There aren't many of us with spoked rims on our CX500s and GL500s, so lets have a little page here to check in and show off. I'd love to see some other spoked rims here, as there are a few different ways to do it, and it'd be fun to see what you all have done to make it happen!

Here's mine so far:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

That's a CX500 rear hub, Moto-synthesis rings, a 17x4.25 steel Harley rim, Shinko 705 150/70/17 tire, and spokes made for lacing a 16" Harley rim to a GL1000 hub.

I've got a Cognito-moto GSXR750 hub for my front end, and I'm waiting on spokes, a rim, new rotors, and a few other parts, and then I'll have a front spoked rim too!

I've shown you mine, now you show me yours!! :)

Charles.

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Murray, are those GL1000 hubs? or Cognito moto?

Charles.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
neither

the rear swing arm and final and driveshaft are cx650 custom i have fit a vt800 shadow rear wheel on srt of upside down as the vt pumpkin is on the other side

i then made cut sleeve bushings from 20mm od 17mm id and coated them with antiseize and pressed one piece into the wheel and one piece into the brake drum

and slid the stock cx650 axle back in

the front end is a 1982 cb650 standard front end in its entirety and is pretty much stock except for the stainless steel brake line and all balls neck bearings

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool Murray. CB650, that's a nice way to do it! Saves having to find custom spokes (my current woe) for the front spoke rings. (I've got another bike I'm building, and it'll have spoked rims too)

Charles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll bite. Here's my spoked wheels that are from a gl1000, rear disc brake is from a gl1000. Rear shock is from a 2008 yamaha r6, front suspension and calipers are from a 1998 suzuki gsxr750 and front discs are from a 2008 cbr1000. Custom made bearing spacers,wheel spacers,disc spacers. A lot of the help I got was from this site, so thanks guys!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Madmax, can you post a pic of your whole bike too?

Charles.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't have the confidence in my mechanical skills to do this, but I'll tell 'ya - I sure do like the look. Wish there was an easier way to get it..... :)

Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ya my rear disc is massive. I was going to go with a smaller one but I gad this setup lying around and it bolted right up to the rear hub. I'm also doing a budget build so everything is modified by me l. I like the cbr 600 rear disc setup. It fits the look of the spoked wheel very well

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooooh, my brand new sexy GSXR750 wave rotors arrived, as did my gloss black Warp9 rim... just waiting on the spokes to get here now. Mwa-hahahahaha.

Charles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got a gl500 I'm tinkering with. It's got the stock star lookin powder coated wheels. Anybody ever try soda blasting them and turning them into polished aluminum wheels? My brothers done it on a cb750 bobber of his but I haven't seen it in a while so I don't remember how good it looked. Might be a nice alternative if you can't find spoked rims or afford them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi CX500 forum!!

This is my first post! I bought this bike like 2 years a go as a cafe racer project!

Here is the before:

And after with the spoked wheels
Are those the same forks? I like how much lower you were able to get them. Looks good. I've been wondering if my gl500i can do that. It has air adjustable forks so I don't know if it would be as easy to lower them. (Raise them in the tree). I haven't been able to look at them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SimNa
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.