Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to the whole CX500 scene and have just bought a US Import, 1980 CX500 unfinished cafe racer project, which I want to develop a style of my own with. What is a good upside down front forks/twin disk/spoke wheel setup please. The bike has standard CX500 Sport wheels and original forks. For interest, the registered keeper on the US Certificate of Title Document was from Augusta, Kansas. I am in the UK, and have excellent access to used parts.
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
What's the current condition of your new acquisition? I suggest you have it running and road-worthy before you start making big changes. You'll get better, more functional results if you're familiar with the platform before modifying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!
What's the current condition of your new acquisition? I suggest you have it running and road-worthy before you start making big changes. You'll get better, more functional results if you're familiar with the platform before modifying.
Thanks, good to be on board. The bike is roadworthy and running, it was sold as "unfinished" but it looks to me like it just needs cosmetics. Its time to start modifying it to my taste, hence the question about spoke wheels, USD forks and twin discs. I got a bargain, I'm really pleased.

·
Super Moderator
5,669 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,669 Posts
The bike in the first link has spoked wheels, just hard to see because of the gigantic brake rotors.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,752 Posts
1994-1995 GSXR 750 forks fit with only a bearing change for the top and bottom races. The GSXR speedometer drive and cable even works with the CX500 speedometer. You will have to dent the tank or move it backwards for clearance. This will increase the trail dramatically, so raising the rear of the bike with longer shocks will help quicken the steering back up. Also using pointy-profile tires instead of rounded profile will help as well.

For spoked wheels, the easiest way it to buy the assembled wheels from Cognito Moto. They have a hub for a GSXR750 front wheel as well as a CX500 rear wheel. You'll have to convert to disc brake though, which is added expense. If you want a spoked front rim that will fit a GSXR, fork, this is really the only way to do it.

The second easiest way is to disassemble your rear comstar and bolt a set of spoke rings on it. Order the spokes from Buchanan (they're aware of this setup) and then either send it out or assemble and true it yourself. You retain the original drum rear brake and the bike stays otherwise stock. If you also keep a stock front end, a 1979 CB750K front wheel will fit the CX with some minor machining of the front axle. (You'll need the CB's axle spacer and the CX's speedometer drive).

By far the hardest method is to try and adapt GL1000 wheels to fit. The rear requires a lot of machining and custom work for both ends.

I want to make it clear that doing this is not cheap or easy. If you don't already have good fabrication skills I wouldn't attempt it. If you can't weld or don't have a metal lathe I wouldn't attempt it. The wheels alone can cost way more than the bike is worth, even if you assemble them yourself. Then there's the cost of the front forks, bearings, axle, spacers, triple tree, speedo drive, rotors, brake calipers, new hoses, new master cylinder, headlight mounts, headlight, and more. It's easily $2000 just for the front end, even if buying mostly used parts.

You currently have a running motorcycle. You risk turning it into an endless project that you will never finish, when instead you can just go out and ride right now. Enjoy it for what it is for a while before you decide if you want to modify it. You may not even like the bike.

Charles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts