Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
483 Posts
US regulations require a minimum of 9" between signal lights. Even though most States no longer have Inspection Programs, they still have the existing lighting laws, so you could still be fined for using improper equipment. Lastly, integrated signals in a center brake lamp are difficult for most other motorists to see, and even when seen, it makes your intended direction difficult to determine. Don't give some idiot an excuse to misinterpret or just not even see your signal lights, and end up hitting you by mistake. If you had left and right tail lamps such as the Suzuki Cavalcade did, you may get away with doing that, and then again maybe not. In most States, brake lamp lenses are required to be red, and signal lenses red or amber. A yellow bulb (or led) behind a red lens is not legal anywhere in the States. LED colors have made some allowances possible on new cars that are equipped from the factory with them, but altering older vehicles not factory equipped can be expensive and illegal in most cases.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Lastly, integrated signals in a center brake lamp are difficult for most other motorists to see, and even when seen, it makes your intended direction difficult to determine.
To me that is the biggest issue. Whether or not you get a ticket is small in comparison to being hit by a 3,000+ pound vehicle while on your bike. It's just not safe and hence the regulation. An example of form over function, bad idea all the way around.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The legality is pretty important from a visibility standpoint.
There are many modern production motorcycles/vehicles that do meet legality but are completely not visible.
The brake/tail light is huge
I am replacing stock with a LED bulb
Would still keep turn signals, if I changed them they would be for a dual set also.

Got the idea while following a Harley that had this set up. Was the most visible thing I’ve seen on a bike.

1980’s technology vs. 2020’s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The legality is pretty important from a visibility standpoint.
There are many modern production motorcycles/vehicles that do meet legality but are completely not visible.
The brake/tail light is huge
I am replacing stock with a LED bulb
Thanks for the wiring and tech info.
Even if I don’t go through with the idea it’s fun to challenge what can be done.
The idea will expand into something else and who knows maybe ones own concept could be widened once the end result is seen.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
You may never be ticketed for non compliant lighting but if someone runs into you and claims he couldn't tell your signal was on and it can be proven that your signals didn't meet the legal requirements you could find yourself with no recourse and no insurance coverage.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
If run into from behind the evidence would be destroyed ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
Neither would I. I think that this thread was more of an imagineering exercise.

Reactions: adventurehuman

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
483 Posts
Thanks for the wiring and tech info.
Even if I don’t go through with the idea it’s fun to challenge what can be done.
The idea will expand into something else and who knows maybe ones own concept could be widened once the end result is seen.
Something I have done with my GL500i & Gl1100i was to replace the 4 factory square side reflectors (2 front on the fairing & 2 rear on the bags) with exact matches that are reflectors with a led inside. I have the front ones wired as parking/marker lights and the rear as signals. It is still legal because of the colors, but now they are lights as well as reflectors!

Reactions: adventurehuman

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Yep. I have LED marker/reflectors on the left side of Eccles' fairing and on the right side of the sidecar. Mine are about the same footprint as the original reflectors but thicker. I have LED trailer lights on the rear so that the lights are the same on both sides and they have side marker/reflectors built in.

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
483 Posts
The U.S. 9" signal separation rule was the reason Honda did not install signals on U.S. models, until 1968. For 1968, the U.S. required signals on ALL bikes 1968 and newer, imported or otherwise. H-D was the main reason the U.S. was still allowing "no turn signals" legal for motorcycles through 1967. H-D was so angered by the 1968 signal law that it complied, but made the controls for each signal separate buttons, one on the Left switch, and one on the Right switch. Not only that, they were momentary contact buttons you had to hold in constantly for either side to signal, making them extremely impractical to use, which was their point. I don't know how this passive-aggressive behavior was supposed to help the actual bike rider, other than to give him an excuse not to use the "hated turn signals". Culture can have some strange effects on manufacturing, lol!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts