Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST FOR LOOKS!... is it possible to turn a CX's heads 180* to put the carbs in the front & the exhaust straight out the back?... even if i had to swap parts left to right, whatever... i really have no idea at this point, but i'm gonna dig in this summer & i'm just kicking around ideas early... so, motor guys, whaddaya think?... if it's been done, please, post links... thanx.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Been dipping into grandma's cough medicine?

Okay, maybe that was a little rude, but are you serious?

Any mechanical inclination at all would tell you that:

1) The heads go on one way.

2) You would have to build an entirely new engine case.

3) You would have to completely redesign the firing sequence.

4) You would have to completely redesign the cam shafts.

*sniff* I think I smell troll.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
That's about it. The answer sits at no without a lot of work which would make building your own engine easier.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Could probably build some sort of crazy intake manifold to keep the heads as-is but move the carbs to the front. Might have some heat issues from the headers, and you'll need to monkey with the tuning quite a bit for it to run right. Though, with that long intake runner, you might get some pretty good torque

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i've been following this CB550 thread & that's what got me thinking about it... he'll have a pile of work in it, i just didn't know if i might get lucky & it be a bit easier on a CX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could probably build some sort of crazy intake manifold to keep the heads as-is but move the carbs to the front. Might have some heat issues from the headers, and you'll need to monkey with the tuning quite a bit for it to run right. Though, with that long intake runner, you might get some pretty good torque

i was just interested in this 100% for looks... that big intake isn't what i'm after... i just think it would look good with carbs & stacks sticking out the front, and the exhaust coming straight out the back, 2 into 1 under the seat, then out where the tail light is.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Hmm

the polishing and anodising looks good

the engraving?, err, I'll say nowt.

It reminds me of the guy who put a CX motor in a bike sideways and added single sided forks

plus other dubious bits

this 'thing'

Visually interesting perhaps but practically pretty useless.

I do admire and respect the time and effort but to me they are 'look at me' bikes and

seriously doubt they'll ever see much, if any, road time.

can you imagine riding that 550 down a dusty road? I'd give it ten minutes

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
JUST FOR LOOKS!... is it possible to turn a CX's heads 180* to put the carbs in the front & the exhaust straight out the back?... even if i had to swap parts left to right, whatever... i really have no idea at this point, but i'm gonna dig in this summer & i'm just kicking around ideas early... so, motor guys, whaddaya think?... if it's been done, please, post links... thanx.
I added my same answer I gave on another post re: ram air

You can't flip the heads. You would have to completely reverse the intake and exhaust order of the engine. Mechanically it would not be that difficult, just very involved. You would have to re-machine your valve seats to reverse the intakes and exhausts, redo your porting as the directions would be reversed, have a new camshaft made to reverse the timing, probably some ignition work too. Oh yeah, new intake and exhaust. Your cooling system may need to be re engineered to add more capacity to what was the cool side of the head. Lots of work for minimal, if any gains.

I think someone's idea of long intake manifolds twisted around the front might be your best styling idea. It probably wouldn't run worth a darn though.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
i was just interested in this 100% for looks... that big intake isn't what i'm after... i just think it would look good with carbs & stacks sticking out the front, and the exhaust coming straight out the back, 2 into 1 under the seat, then out where the tail light is.

This would be very easy to do,,if it were 100% for looks,,if you wanted the engine to run, it would be more difficult.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think turning the engine around in the frame would be easier.... but then it would go backwards

Front wheel drive and rear wheel steering?

·
Registered
851 Posts
That "Brother Joey" over at "Do The Ton" is fearless and a great builder. I spend time over there and it's a great site, very innovative stuff going on.

I've been followoing that build and also "Swan" and others doing amazing things.

Cheers, 50gary

joeyputt

Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! FRONT SUSPENSION PHOTOS!

« Reply #237 on: Jan 30, 2011, 19:04:16 » Today we used the tank from my dads 550 and finished setting everything up to see what the bike would look like and to get measurements so I can start building the frame.

The engine and tank are going to be a 1 1/2 inches higher than what they are in this photo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.