Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a subaru mechanic so there are a few modified subaru parts on my bike. I've been thinking about a spin on filter mod. I think the PO(S) used their teeth to remove the OE filter bolt, and it doesn't look like it will survive another oil change. I came across an oil filter union witch is basicly a male-male hollow bolt with a 22mm nut in the center. It threads in fine but the filter has about 5mm gap to the gasket and mating surface. I think the flange on the cover could be ground flush. How important is a perfectly smooth surface on the cover where the union would go? Is this the wrong approach? And the subaru filter was a little to small anyone know what filter to use?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Im a subaru mechanic so there are a few modified subaru parts on my bike. I've been thinking about a spin on filter mod. I think the PO(S) used their teeth to remove the OE filter bolt, and it doesn't look like it will survive another oil change. I came across an oil filter union witch is basicly a male-male hollow bolt with a 22mm nut in the center. It threads in fine but the filter has about 5mm gap to the gasket and mating surface. I think the flange on the cover could be ground flush. How important is a perfectly smooth surface on the cover where the union would go? Is this the wrong approach? And the subaru filter was a little to small anyone know what filter to use?
Randakk's site lists a filter conversion kit for the CX. You might like to look at it. (Randakks Goldwing site), AGB-1

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
edit- dumb comment removed!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the replacement bolt is almost the same price as the adapter. no reason not to go with it

·
Registered
602 Posts
the replacement bolt is almost the same price as the adapter. no reason not to go with it
Replacement oil filter bolts with the 17mm head can be had for $10~$15 on the 'bay. Here's one with a buy-it-now of $12.10 and $2.50 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CX50...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eafe1b7c4

(its from GeorgeFix, he has a pretty good rep)

I like Randakk's filter conversion kit, nice and easy. I don't think the type C kit for our bikes comes capable of being plumbed with an oil cooler, but there is no reason to put an oil cooler on our bikes anyway.

·
Registered
851 Posts
...which you probably don't need. There have been several threads looking at CX/GL cooling. The oil settles in at the right temperature, which it would probably not do with an external cooler.
I will have an oil cooler on my CX500 as soon as I can afford one. I seems there was a thread on the old CX board about the oil getting hot and effecting another comoponent? Sorry can't recall exactly what specifically. A cooler running engine is always a good thing, not cold mind you but cool. With a thermostat a hot summer day and cold autumn day can have the same engine oil temp. Two cents.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
For the O.P. it looks like the randakks is the answer for a "spin on" filter...

if I was in Alaska, running a heavy weight oil, an external oil cooler might be a bad thing...

I think oil needs to settle in at the right vicosity, which it does when operated within it's spec range.

An external cooler here in the summer just keeps lighter oil from cooking and gives a small increase in sump capacity. I'd love one here, also a oil pressure guage, oil temp gauge, and a water temp guage... maybe for Christmas...

in racing engine builds, I've seen guys go with some super lightweight oil (5wt or less castor) Gotta keep that stuff cool or have spare rods and wrist pins

J

·
Registered
798 Posts
I like Randakk's filter conversion kit, nice and easy. I don't think the type C kit for our bikes comes capable of being plumbed with an oil cooler, but there is no reason to put an oil cooler on our bikes anyway.
Your right. They do offer one, but its a different one, and much more expensive. Also unneccesary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont really care to much for the look of a cheapo spin on filter hanging from the front of these engines. I still run the stock filter canister on my 76 gl 1000 also.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Horses for courses, diff'rent strokes for dif'rent folks, whatever spins your wheels and whatever floats your boat.

If we all liked one thing, sh!t, this world would be boring

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Horses for courses, diff'rent strokes for dif'rent folks, whatever spins your wheels and whatever floats your boat.

If we all liked one thing, sh!t, this world would be boring

I agree.

But for the record, I think I like it and think it is a more efficient solution if you are for some reason changing oil frequently or need to change it quickly. I think for these engines the oil cooler is overkill, but looks damn sweet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I agree.

But for the record, I think I like it and think it is a more efficient solution if you are for some reason changing oil frequently or need to change it quickly. I think for these engines the oil cooler is overkill, but looks damn sweet.
+1. It opens up the possibility of using different oil filters and eliminates waiting. I don't know about you guys, but I need to special order my filters no matter where I go.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I like to modernise older bikes that's why I put the '07 GSX-R front end on. That's also why I'm going to put the spin on oil filter on, it's easy and as stated I have more filter choice. My brother (who rides modern bikes rattle cans (blk) the spin on filters before installation just so they look better.

Cheers, 50gary

1 - 20 of 52 Posts