Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got myself the perfect project bike to convert into a Brat Bike or a Flat Tracker, or something in between. I bought it from a young lad, in March 2017, who only owned it for a couple of months really, but then had to free up some space.

I have been looking at the CX 500’s for some time, and always thought they are perfect for converting, considering the hundreds of awesome finished products.
I was looking for a mechanically sound bike, with no need to drop or rebuild the engine.

The frame and engine on my bike was really in need of some urgent TLC, cosmetically. The bike ran, and almost everything worked, accept the Tacho meter. The temp gauge only moved once in all the time I had it, and only ever so slightly, so not sure if it’s working 100%.

All paper work in order, and the bike was previously resprayed to Maroon, and I also bought 3 boxes of spares with the bike.
I will attempt to post as many pics as possible. Here is my project bike, in the form and shape that I bought it: My Honda CX 500:

20170321_120754.jpg
20170321_120831.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I managed to trace the “previous –previous” owner…lol.. and got a whole lot of valuable info from him regarding the history of the bike and the spares I now have, which also came all the way from him.:D

Turns out that all the spares were also from 2 of the same model bikes. One in skeleton form and one a previous traffic police bike, but both same model than mine. So that was awesome news! He claims the engine has never been opened according to his knowledge, and he was only the 2nd owner. The engine still sounds healthy…and still with no strange noises. I am wonder in what condition is the cam chain and or the tensioner…. I will have that checked with the dental mirror method ASAP. But like I said…the engine sounds just fine.

Carbs will definitely be overhauled later, since the bike starts difficult, and the choke is as if it’s not having any affect at all, and overall runs a bit rich it seems. The right exhaust also has far more black residue inside than the left, but luckily no black or blue smoke at any point.

The purpose of my build thread, is to keep a thorough record of what I am and will be doing, while I don’t mind sharing it with fellow CX owners. Any assistance and advice always welcome so please feel free to comment and advise as the project moves along.

This is my 1st project of this nature and magnitude, which I will tackle on my own. It is comforting to know that I can consult the “experts” when things get difficult. I am also keeping record of every hour and every Rand spent on the bike. Here’s some more pics!

20170321_120703.jpg
20170321_120646.jpg
20170321_120721.jpg
20170321_120809.jpg
20170321_120846.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am by no means a seasoned mechanic, but I can help myself with basic stuff and then some more daring jobs. The objective is to learn as I progress, and I have already learnt a lot from this forum thus far…so thanx a mill!! :)

My CX is probably a good candidate to strip completely and repaint the frame. But since that is above my current skill set, plus the engine came out pretty clean after some preliminary cleaning, plus the fact that I really intend doing as much as possible myself with my own tools and space, I decided not to repaint the frame for now. MAYBE at a later stage…after I am done customising… and IF I feel there is really still a need....lol….then I will consider it. ;)

I also don’t want to call it a Budget Build, but the arrangement with my wife, with regards to all my toys, is to not overcapitalize. So I always respect that arrangement, and try to stay within the market limits. But we both do realize that with custom projects..like this one… its often not the case. Regardless..huge fun and at least I will still be learning on this journey! So it will still be money and time well spent!:cool:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The look that I am aiming for, is close to the pics below.., but not exactly of course. I will add my own personal touches and preferences.

My handles will def not be as low as a Café Racer, but rather stay upward as in Brat style..lol. I also made a decision to keep the air box and side covers, and also the rear plastic fender, under the cowl, and as many original parts of the bike, as possible. I will replace the lights and indicators of course, but no superbike additions, or massive upgrades. I obviously have plenty..but here’s some o f the pics that really inspired me…
honda_cx500 Cafe Racer.jpg
Honda CX500 Tracker 10.jpg
Honda CX500 Tracker 9.jpg
Honda CX 500 Brat Bike 21.jpg
Honda CX 500 Brat Bike 1.jpg

ok so I think you get the idea...lol...

This particular pic, I liked sooo much..but I wont get this look since I will leave the air box and covers, and wont go for off rode tires.. But what a nice bike this is!!

Honda CX 500 Brat Bike 5.jpg
Honda CX 500 Brat Bike 7.png

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If some of these are some of our member's bike...or someone you know's....huge respect!!!!

Master pieces...:eek:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I have a CX 500 “Custom” Gear shifter on my bike (as some forum members suggested), or my shifter was bent, or both. :rolleyes:
But the gap between the peg and the shifter is uncomfortably big (and I wear a size 8 shoe…so it’s not a small foot problem..lol). On these 2 pics you can see the unusual gap…
20170321_120809.jpg
This pic is of course how I got the bike, before I started to clean or change anything...lol
20170326_131445.jpg

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Welkom op die Forum.

Your CX has duel brakes in front like my GL.

The h-box of the exhaust system was taken out.

This is a "normal" foot rest with an elbow that runs slightly downwards and forward from it's attachment at the frame

20170727_115420.jpg

Enjoy your bike. It becomes a best friend.

Yes, you should check the cam chain condition. Just be careful with that dental mirror . DAMHIK :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx Izak...or Dankie!!:D

Yeah..I believe that elbow in the bracket of the footpeg, is only on the GL, and not the CX.

The CX (Delux..or my model) just have the footpeg, and a mounting bracket..with no elbow.

My gear lever, I believe should "slant" or "angle" more to the rear...and not to the front...like on a CX Custom..or then perhaps also the GL.

You don't find these gear levers easily in SA....but I am still on the look out. I did remedy the situation somewhat...later to be explained..lol.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noted thanx Phreak.

Now I just wish I can get a new lever for sale...:(

But its quite drivable after a minor mod...lol

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In the meantime, some close up pics, where you can clearly see the plenty TLC needed..…
One can note the rust on the starter..and on basically everything that is chromed..lol..., check the rusted clamps, worn radiator pipes, and rusted bolts, etc etc...
Some overspray on the petcock...:(

20170326_131350.jpg

20170326_131324.jpg
20170326_131512.jpg
20170326_131623.jpg

This is how the whole engine looked, and I was afraid it needs a re-spray, but it actually came out pretty nice after some initial cleaning..
20170326_131753.jpg

20170402_154308.jpg
20170412_163639.jpg
20170412_165042.jpg

Check out the awesome tools I got with the bike, in the Tool box..nice!!!

20170326_133236.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clearly then...lots of work ahead of me....:eek::D

Of course I am not going to rush things. The only thing pushing me, is my own eagerness and excitement.:)

Im not gonna post a list of things I am going to do..since the list is tooo long..lol
But I do have a spread sheet of things that still need to be done and update the finilized jobs as I progress.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
First things first and all is well that ends well. Enjoy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bike is a 1980 model according to the “previous – previous Owner”, although it seems it’s actually a 1979 – still not sure really.

Date of 1st Registration (here in South Africa) was only in 1982 according to Reg papers. Apparantly on the left side of the Steering Head…it is suppose to indicate which year the bike was manufactured. Sadly, that sign or sticker on my bike only says: “Honda: Made in Japan”…or something like that….But No year mentioned.

Also, I believe that Honda moved the crank case breathers from the Heads, to the side of the engine, at the Cam Chain and tensioner inspection hole, only in 1980. My bike was built like that. I checked and it’s not that the breathers on the Heads are capped. There are no breathers on the Heads…lol. So that points to a 1980 model then.

But both my engine and frame number starts with “CX500” – XXX, and that points to a 1979 model again, since the 1980 model numbers seemingly starts with “PC01” – XXX, (According to Moto Faction site – which I respect a lot BTW)

Doesn’t really matter, but it would be awesome to be sure! It sure seems like it’s a 1979 model…:confused:

Any wisdom about this out there please?:cool:

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
since the 1980 model numbers seemingly starts with “PC01” — XXX,
Here in Europe the PC01 are the Custom models.

It sure seems like it’s a 1979 model
Maybe the frame etc., but not the heads are from 1979.

What is the engines number ?

CX500E- plus ???

The first heads had the breather tubes running to the air box.
The second version had still the brass tubes blocked with rubbers.
The third version is Your type of cylinderheads.

1 - 20 of 561 Posts