Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

i recently resurrected a 1980 cx 500 from a long nap it only has 5600 miles on it now

the only snag with the bike is the speedo jumps around and reads low. My wife is only

getting used to the bike now and doesnt know it that well.the other day we were on our

way home from a ride and she was out in front and was doing close to 80 at one point

75 most of the way home when i asked her she said the speedo was only showing about 65

and still jumping around.

i have serviced the front wheel cleaned and lubed the speedo drive cleaned and lubed

the speedo cable. we would like to keep the original speedo<<<<<

any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
More than likely its the speedo guage itself. I have had my bike about a 1 1/2 years and have gone through 5 speedos. They seem to die on me a lot. ALL started jumping like you described, 3 of the squeeled like a stuck pig. The one I have now (#6) works ok so far, except the trip meter part doesnt work.

I have become so "disolutioned" with the guages myself Im going to replace the guts with electronics once I get my stator replaced

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Remove the speedo and put a FEW drops of good lightweight oil on the input shaft, between the outer threaded portion and the inner rotating part. Then spin the shaft counterclockwise with a drill motor and something filed into the proper square shape. Add a couple more drops and let it sit face down so the oil can penetrate around the shaft. Too much oil will get inside and gum up the shaft magnet interface or get on the front glass.

Hopefully that will loosen things up. The speedo can be opened for further repair then the chrome band installed with epoxy.Cut the band carefully at the bottom to remove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.