Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am working of restoring my 1979 CX500, and it is all good mechanically and running.
When I started working on the lights and dashboard (if it is called this way), I realised that neither the speedometer nor the tachometer is working. I want to keep the bike as close to original as possible. Could you suggest any other speedometer + tachometer that could be used to replace the current ones (besides looking for the exact same ones online).

Appreciate your help
Thank you

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Exactly what model 79 CX500 do you have
that will help in replacement speedo and tach
If you want to keep original then you will looking for good used units

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what model 79 CX500 do you have
that will help in replacement speedo and tach
If you want to keep original then you will looking for good used units
It is a CX500 Standard.

I am basically looking for a similar speedometer that works using the cable

Thank you

·
Registered
380 Posts
working on some modern replacements to go into the stock housings - stepper movements and OLED displays -
photo of a cx setup attached - not officially released yet due to having no time at all !!!

IMG20170513131222.jpg

Reactions: MobileAZN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
working on some modern replacements to go into the stock housings - stepper movements and OLED displays -
photo of a cx setup attached - not officially released yet due to having no time at
Looks great!

So you took the original speedometer and tachometer and implemented the OLED displays? That's impressive..

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Your Speedo looks like someone replaced it already
As for the wiring, again it looks like someone has been in there with those terrible yellow cased connectors (could be the problem)
Wiring diagram is going to be your best friend here, start sorting through it and correcting whatever is wrong, then hunt down some replacement gauges maybe from eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Speedo looks like someone replaced it already
As for the wiring, again it looks like someone has been in there with those terrible yellow cased connectors (could be the problem)
Wiring diagram is going to be your best friend here, start sorting through it and correcting whatever is wrong, then hunt down some replacement gauges maybe from eBay
Thank you, I will try that.

Is it in general difficult to rewire lights/gauges on these bikes? I've never done electrical before

·
Registered
380 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts