Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'd like to get rid of one of these gauges. Which raises a few questions:

Which one is better to eliminate? Where does the Tach cable go, and can it simply be removed or is there a hole to plug up...? And if the Speedo is better to eliminate, can/should I just leave that little speedo gear box on the wheel to keep proper spacing?

My preference is to keep the Speedometer, for the sake of the Odometer. I'll reroute the temp gauge somewhere. And maybe a digital Tach? Anyone know where to get & any tips on installing? I think my Tach is a bit slow to respond in the higher RPM's anyways (cable not lubed up well? not sure...).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I have an '81 CX500 Custom. This is my first bike, got it last year. I'm no mechanic but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. And I apologize to the purists out there, I have defaced a fairly mint CX, but I promise to love, cherish, and ride the hell out of this bike!:p

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Those are very nice but it won't be visible on my bike so I think I'll pass on the $22 shipping to Canada! Sometimes I wish I lived south of the border just for better mailing services. I'm going to ask a friend to mill me one. I asked Joram for the dimensions:

"15mm diameter, this is a rough measure because it depends on the wear on the inside. Mine fits not very tight, but also not too loose.

10mm length.

I broke the original tachometer pin to create clearencd, if you want it intact you need to drill a hole for it to create space inside the bushing."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dumped both speedo and tach and went for a Koso all in one unit. They're based in Canada too. I wired mine into the old harness instead of usinng their supplied clip things. I don't consider myself an expert but it wasn't too difficult to do. Here's the one I used

DL-03SR GP STYLE SPEEDOMETER

And a pic on the bike. I did a front end swap if you're curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Guess I'm dumb.....I just don't understand why anyone wants to dump gauges that provide feedback about the engine or bike.

Well, I spose if your goin' for the minimalist look like the gauge cluster on a moped.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just made this mistake and am having to re-do. I kept the speedo. Should have kept the tach. You can mount a gps for speed, but engine revs and temperature are the 2 most important pieces of info to know in my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't done anything yet. And that's why I've posted, to get some opinions & insight. I definitely would relocate the temperature sensor (definitely important, i check it often). As for the tach, I was thinking of doing an overlay onto the speedo, something like the pic below. I'm no whizz in photoshop like some people on here, so this is just a pic I found on the web. I'm surprised I couldn't find a more representative one. All I really care to know in terms of RPM is where my red line is (and maybe 3,000-ish RPM - for battery charging sake)
tach onto speedo.jpg

I like what scotty has done. No temperature display though?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts