Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , have looked through the old posts but can’t find a problem similar to mine which is why I’m asking your help
Speedo stopped working on a 1981 Cx500b
I checked both connection and they were fine
Cable turns by hand all in one piece from top to bottom so I’ve ruled out broken cable
I put cordless drill and flat screwdriver into bottom of cable where cable joins the wheel with cable attached to speedo and it works (30 mph) so cable and speedo working - also mileage goes up
Turned front wheel and the flat blade connected to front wheel turns with the wheel also !
tried to eliminate everything, even turned wheel whilst pushing cable into connector to get the connection married up to each other
What am I missing?
speedo did work when I bought bike a few weeks ago
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You seem to have proved that the individual components appear to work, but not all together. Have you tried pushing the slotted end of the cable onto the speedo drive before sliding the outer sleeve into position, and with the speedo end of the cable disconnected from the speedo, see if the cable rotates?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You seem to have proved that the individual components appear to work, but not all together. Have you tried pushing the slotted end of the cable onto the speedo drive before sliding the outer sleeve into position, and with the speedo end of the cable disconnected from the speedo, see if the cable rotates?
No I haven’t, pressumed it would turn because I turned front wheel with bike on centre stand and the slot in the wheel part was turning, then I carefully pushed the outer cable onto it and felt it lock in place to cable , but I will try what you suggested, thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts