Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how difficult is it to install a speedo gear? (79 CX500C) I have never done it, but my speedo gear needs replacing and I just bought one from a forum member. If it involves brake removal I will likely have the bike shop fix it later. I was going to have my forks replaced with NOS ones and just have them install the gear (FREE) then since that part had to come off anyway. But I am tired of having no speedo gear and do not have the money to do the forks, or pay the shop to do only the speedo gear (which would be wasting money). Anyone know how to make this easy?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just how difficult is it to install a speedo gear? (79 CX500C) I have never done it, but my speedo gear needs replacing and I just bought one from a forum member. If it involves brake removal I will likely have the bike shop fix it later. I was going to have my forks replaced with NOS ones and just have them install the gear (FREE) then since that part had to come off anyway. But I am tired of having no speedo gear and do not have the money to do the forks, or pay the shop to do only the speedo gear (which would be wasting money). Anyone know how to make this easy?
It's not a difficult job. You undo the cable from the drive gear, drop the front wheel and it's right there. Takes about 1/2 hour.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Just line up the notches on the speedo gear with the ring on the rim and you're done. 30 minutes maybe. And that's if the stupid phillips screw in the speedo gear is locked rock solid. Otherwise it's a 3 nut solution.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Two more questions. Do I have to remove the brake caliper or anything else? Do I need to grease the speedo gear?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
no on the removing the caliper and i didnt grease my drive gear and its working fine i replaced mine last year and with god knows how many miles its still good......i am not sure but if you want to grease it you can

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I tried to take the wheel off. The two nuts on the right side lower fork come out fine, but the axle nut (with cotter pin removed)on the left lower fork will not loosen. The entire thing turns when I try to remove it. What am I doing wrong? I tried to remove it with the other two nuts tightened down but no good there either. HELP!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
OK.  I tried to take the wheel off.  The two nuts on the right side lower fork come out fine, but the axle nut (with cotter pin removed)on the left lower fork will not loosen.  The entire thing turns when I try to remove it.  What am I doing wrong?  I tried to remove it with the other two nuts tightened down but no good there either.  HELP!

You need 2 wrenches, one on the axle nut and the other on the other side holding the axle still.  It's maybe a 19 mm?  I don't remember, but you need an open end wrench to mate with the 2 flats of the axle.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks kingston I will try that. I am very new at working on this bike myself so I wish it was idiot proof!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am mad as HELL! My old bike mechanic (the one who moved to Michigan, lucky for him) told me 3 years ago that my speedo gear was bad and that is why my speedo never worked. Due to him never being wrong about anything pertaining to my bike (he brought it back from death) I operated under this assessment for 3 years. I never fixed it because what he quoted was more than I could sink into the bike at the time since I was fixing up my 73 Plymouth and 81 Chevy truck. Well, tonight as I was preparing to remove the wheel to install the speedo gear I bought from Pete I found that my existing speedo gear is working perfectly. I even drill-tested the speedo itself and found it to work. It was my CABLE that was bad, and it was VERY obvious! Now I must find a cable for it (no big deal) but I could have had this working years ago if not for this bad assessment. DAMN IT!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
***UPDATE*** Well I walked into my friendly neighborhood Honda shop and they had the speedo cable I needed. I installed it and now for the first time since I bought this bike the speedometer works. Now I finally get to be like everyone else and have something that I will never take for granted again. I will NEVER understand how my mechanic mis-diagnosed this but I will NEVER listen to a mechanic again without checking the cable myself. Funny though, I had almost replaced the cable myself 3 years ago before he gave me this wrong diagnosis. Live and learn.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
When it's a matter of such a cheap part and knowing all you had to do was unscrew one side and see if the cable pulled out or spinned with the wheel. I would have checked it. The hardest part of changing it is probably that stupid phillips screw that gets locked in the speedo gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts