Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Speedo was jumping around so I cut it apart and oiled it as Supertanker had given instructions for. That worked great – Thanks Supertanker. I put it back togather with the silver metal tape used on AC duct work. (That was easy)

Anyway, now it works smooth but still is reading very high. At 6500 on the tack my Speedo is pegged against the 85mph needle. Maybe the gear at the wheel is from the wrong bike?

So can anyone give me some MPH numbers to go with the tack in 5[sup]th[/sup] gear? (GL500I - Standard tires and will assume stock clutch)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Not sure why the thing is off, but the normal ratio (I believe) is around 5K revs, the mph should be roughly 55 or so. 85 is way out of line. I'm not totally sure for the GL500 as I have a Custom 500, but I can't imagine much of a difference. It sounds like you have a different speedo or different front wheel set up to cause that.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
For the Cx it should be reading 60mph. The problem with mechanical gauges is they could both be wrong.

But if they are correct then in fifth gear the speedo and tach should align like this.

Take the tach number and drop the last two digits off it. so 5500 is 55. Then take the tach number and add 5.

5500 is 60mph

6000 is 65mph

and so on.

in the end 10,000 rpms should be 105mph. Not all bikes can do his but in a perfect world they would.

I have a gl gauge here that was sent to me broken and even after aligning it the gauge read wrong. So instead of being completely wrong I rigged it up so it's correct at 65mph and up. Of course at 30mph it's 13 miles slow.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...............in the end 10,000 rpms should be 105mph. Not all bikes can do his but in a perfect world they would.

Don, you're good. With the new engine, those are exactly the stats I get on my bike wound right out. GPS however, indicated

just shy of 100 mph. So, considering a +/- 5% error, that's pretty much - bang on.

(Just happy that when I read the title of this thread, my eyes weren't burned out by some image or other!)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Blindsticth - that works for me the odometer is correct so I can live with the speedometer error.

CXSarnia - you’re killing me here - In the interest of safety I'll try and be more thoughtful in the terminology I use. We can't have your riding around blind!

Cheers

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks for the info Blindsticth - that works for me the odometer is correct so I can live with the speedometer error.

CXSarnia - you’re killing me here - In the interest of safety I'll try and be more thoughtful in the terminology I use. We can't have your riding around blind!

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.