Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is something funny:

I was on the NC700x forum and a discussion about improving the hard, downward sloping seat on an NC750x popped up. A recent solution was the gel pad in the title above. The poster said it worked perfectly if placed backwards on the seat, with something under the front to eliminate the slope just before the tank. I looked at the photo:
And it looked like a perfect fit for my GL650 without turning it around! It just arrived and it is a good fit. The seat is about a half inch higher now, but that's no problem. I've thought gel with highway pegs would help on longer trips.
And, If I get an NC750 in the future, I can swap it back and forth. Off for a ride now!

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was able to do a little ride this afternoon and test the gel seat. It makes all the difference in the world! Can't wait to test it on a longer trip!

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ride to test the gel seat

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have you trialed anything similar before? e.g. Airhawk for comparison?

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you trialed anything similar before? e.g. Airhawk for comparison?
I had an inexpensive cushion from Aliexpress. I think it had coils in it. I think it was mostly for ventilation and was small, so it didn't stay on very well. I may put that one on the GL500.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had an inexpensive cushion from Aliexpress. I think it had coils in it. I think it was mostly for ventilation and was small, so it didn't stay on very well. I may put that one on the GL500.
I have no experience with these-just saw the "Airhawk" at work the other day, know its been around for ages- being used not in a motorcycle application but used in allied health-the box featured the obligatory Harley cruiser...

Let us know your evaluation.....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Any chance of a link? Of course what size fits the Gl's

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
FYI-a quick google search of reviews(side by side comparisons) puts the speedmetal gel as a good buy-second to the airhawk (which is more than double the price I believe) and ahead of Saddlemen pads etc.
Most of the reviews also suggest its easier to set up than the A/hawk-so seems to be a good buy if you can get it at a good price...

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FYI-a quick google search of reviews(side by side comparisons) puts the speedmetal gel as a good buy-second to the airhawk (which is more than double the price I believe) and ahead of Saddlemen pads etc.
Most of the reviews also suggest its easier to set up than the A/hawk-so seems to be a good buy if you can get it at a good price...
I looked at those. I wonder how durable an air cushion is. I can't imagine anything fitting better than the Speedmetal. And the other thing that sold me is that an NC750x person says they fix the problem with the NCx's seat, fitting it backwards. I am thinking about buying an NCx this winter when the prices are better and I can swap it between bikes.

P.S. If my seat were any higher on my GLs, it would be hard to flatfoot at stops. But I guess I should get used to that if an NCx is in my future.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Now to wait for it to come in the mail!

Reactions: Fafnir

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture of it on my GL650. I rode to work on a day off to see if the Mississippi River Parkway was open
I'll be commuting to work until the snow comes. Great way to start and finish the work day, even if it is under 20 minutes each way. I ride part of the trip along the Mississippi River.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here is a picture of it on my GL650. I rode to work on a day off to see if the Mississippi River Parkway was open
I'll be commuting to work until the snow comes. Great way to start and finish the work day, even if it is under 20 minutes each way. I ride part of the trip along the Mississippi River.

View attachment 203305
A short run can still be good-i'm at one coastal town with 10km winding beachfront road to the next-sometimes mid-week do this near sun-set several times over- a good way to relax
typical view "Eagles nest" near home

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. I am a 10 minute walk from the Mississippi River and Minneapolis is a city full of lakes.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Lee,
I have sold quite a few Airhawk for HD-a bit spendy but the passenger is the one most happy. Is handy to use in a boat or ball game.
Paul

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lee-completely digressing-++ many parts of US i'd like to see post COVID, and also Canada.....(Mexico and also Yucatan on the list-yeah not 20 anymore maybe the later two for the "bucket list"....)

Enjoy your seat and hopefully get some miles in as things free up post COVID.......(y)

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lee-completely digressing-++ many parts of US i'd like to see post COVID, and also Canada.....(Mexico and also Yucatan on the list-yeah not 20 anymore maybe the later two for the "bucket list"....)

Enjoy your seat and hopefully get some miles in as things free up post COVID.......(y)
Thanks!
We had to cancel a trip to G.B. last April. We were in N.Z. a couple winters ago. I'd like to ride there. I'd also like to stop in Australia the next time we go. My wife's Shannon Clan are all in Cape Breton Nova Scotia. I want to ride there (fly her out and meet her.) I'm guessing nobody will let us in until the end of 2021 or sometime in 2022. Day dreaming until then!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Suprize the beep out of me , the seat cover fron Cyclegear showed up today ,three day's wow. After dinner going for a ride,a long one. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suprize the beep out of me , the seat cover fron Cyclegear showed up today ,three day's wow. After dinner going for a ride,a long one. Cheers
I sometimes sit in an office chair all day at work. When the day is over and go out and sit on the GL650 and the gel seat is think "Ahh.... I need one of these pads for my office chair!"

Reactions: Gerard
1 - 20 of 21 Posts