Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. First post!

I picked up my first CX500 today. It's a 1980 custom. I've built a few bikes before and I'm really stoked to start on this one.

What is the first mod you did to pick up a few cheap, easy horses? What are some more complicated/expensive mods I should plan for the future to continue to pick up speed and quickness?

Thanks in advance for any offerings. This forum helped me decide to grab this new bike, just so you know. You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
First off just make sure that it is running at it's best and you will be surprised at just how quick it really is.
Make sure it is as reliable as possible before making any alterations.

Add the year and model along with your location to your info and sig line as this will make it easier to help you later.

Also,

Must
Have
Pics!

·
Registered
807 Posts
First off just make sure that it is running at it's best and you will be surprised at just how quick it really is.
Make sure it is as reliable as possible before making any alterations.

Add the year and model along with your location to your info and sig line as this will make it easier to help you later.
Also,
Must
Have
Pics!
First and foremost, they are older bikes and usually need some love to get them up and running perfectly. Carb cleaning, fuel filter, fluids changed, good tires, functioning brakes, good battery. Start small and make it dependable, then you can go from there. Sucks to buy a bunch of go fast goodies and then realize you need to replace everything you didn't think of. Fun bikes just as they are, that said it'll never be a F4, GSXR, or a Ninja. They are however perfect bikes for Touring the back roads of the World and were used for mail/parcel delivery in England because they are very reliable when taken care of.
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

Reactions: BLGeezy

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
before tackling a carb clean decide if you are going to upgrade the carbs for power and speed in the short or long term

that way you dont spend money on the stock ones only to ditch them

if you decide to do the stock ones make sure you buy one of the books first read up on it and decide if you have the tools and equipment and skills or you need to budget for sending them out

the forum normally tells everyone that THEY CAN DO there carbs but i watch and see a lot of carb bodied destroyed and most people dont get the carbs right on the first go round

so it can get frustrating and expensive so if you dont have a lot of tools and experience you may want to re think doing them your self i no longer recommend it i have seen to many carbs

wrecked and people frustrated

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hey, guys. First post!

I picked up my first CX500 today. It's a 1980 custom. I've built a few bikes before and I'm really stoked to start on this one.

What is the first mod you did to pick up a few cheap, easy horses? What are some more complicated/expensive mods I should plan for the future to continue to pick up speed and quickness?

Thanks in advance for any offerings. This forum helped me decide to grab this new bike, just so you know. You guys are awesome.
Welcome to the forum!

I had my carbs rebuilt by Larry Cargill before Murray came out with his Mikuni carb upgrade, so I have original carbs on my bike and happy with the performance.
I'm getting better on carb work, but initially was like a bull in the china shop working on carbs.

Tested Murrays Mikuni carb kit on one of his bikes and was very surprised when I took the bike to 9000RPM in first and shifted to second gear and rolled
the throttle on quickly, the front wheel came off of the ground.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's just about it in a nutshell. Get it running as it was designed to run first. If you are truly looking for speed mods, I think most will agree that investing in a set of Murray's specially prepared 34mm Mikuni carbs and an exhaust set up that gets rid of the "H" box are your best options on these bikes. Apart from that, folks are just trimming weight to improve the power to weight ratio - which is kind of ground zero for café racers.
Welcome to the forum. It will quickly become your primary resource for all things CX.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, friends. This already is my goto CX forum. Its been for months before I scooped this scoot up.

From what I've gathered from you all, plus a few external sources, this sounds like the list:
*carbs cleaned
*battery changed
*fluids swapped (oil, brake, and ...coolant (that's still weird to me) )
*plugs and wires
*exhaust update

Did I miss anything?

Pics will come when I can get to a computer. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check out the WIKI - it can answer a lot of your questions. You don't mention the mileage, or the condition your new scoot is in, but you should become aware of the "triple bypass". If you're bike is running well now, you may want to ride it and make the triple bypass a project for next winter.
Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
807 Posts
http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/New+Bike+Checklist Lots of good info. mark this page.

Next after you get it going, 10 Motorcycle Riding Tricks You Don?t Know, Yet - RideApart

Then
Novice vs. Veteran: Ways To Improve Your Motorcycle Riding Skills

And bookmark this one too
http://rideapart.com/

All good stuff. I hope some of this helps. Take it easy , make sure its all good and then find a good spot to work on the skills. A pro rider can take a moped and make most folks look silly when the road gets curvy. So your skill set will have as much to do with speed as anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts