Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing to change my plugs. Which brand/type/number is best? I've been told NGK but there are several different model numbers listed as compatible on various websites.

Are good plugs usually available at Auto parts stores (ie Autozone, etc.)?

Thanks

Edit - Just found a thread listing NGK D8EA. Would y'all recommend these? Or shuld I go with Iridium? If so, what is that model #?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CXPhreak!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Autozone has D8EA's in stock so I'll get those. Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I first got my bike I rode it very little (is was fall and cold) and suddenly had problems. The PO told me that he just had a complete tune up where everything was replaced. Fluids, plugs, oil, etc. I found this site and had all the help anyone could ask for. These folk had me testing everything possible which included replacing the main 30 amp fuse all to no avail. I did the plug cap modification and one day I decided to test the spark with a plug from my son's 350 Honda, which did not fit my bike. I laid it on the engine and had sparks flying over the place. To make an already long story short, I had 2 bad NGK plugs. I bought new ones and have had no problems since. I learned a valuable lesson that is to suspect everything, even new parts. Billrod

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Billrod - I am perhaps in a similar situation. I got this bike in Dec and it bike ran fine all winter. A couple weeks ago it started missing and backfiring and then stalled out and will not start. I am just now getting the time (and dry weather) to start checking it over. I am hoping it is plugs as I was fixing to change them anyway. I changed the fuel lines just before it went out and am thinking maybe I burned out my old plugs "underfueling" it when I reconnected and did not notice the petcock vacuum hose was off. God knows how old they were.

As CXPhreak says, start with the easiest. If not plugs, I'll just have to go up the chain of difficulty until I find it. I'm starting the search tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.