Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Newbie here , have a 83 honda cx650 which I picked up cheap on ebay just be4 xmas, not much need for RWC and now she back on the road ,all good , the only thing that I have found, she go through spark plugs every 400 k's , is this normal for this model of bike or is there a easy Fix to this problem, regards Alex

p.s this is my bike on youtube after I give her a paint job

My link

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Is this a turbo or the E model? It's beautiful, and what a bark!!! what do you mean it goes through spark plugs? Can you give us a picture of one as an example?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi , the is E-model, not many Turbo models here in Downunder, what I'm find that the plugs are dark in colour after I try to start it , I change the plugs with new ones and fires up with no problems cheers Alex

·
Super Moderator
23,403 Posts
As natedawg said, a picture of the used plug might help to get some sort of consensus on a diagnosis.

Also, what plugs are you running, perhaps the wrong heat range?

Where in Oz are you?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
So either you are running rich or you are burning oil. Make a photobucket account or I hear Flicker is also free, and upload your picture to that. Then copy and paste the img link to your post. It will look like text until you post, then it will result in a picture. Very handy skill to have.

·
Super Moderator
23,403 Posts
Mmmmm... sooty. On the surface of things this would indicate a carb fault.

This is also what the plugs on my bike looked like when my bike had the issue with the killswitch though. Incomplete combustion I guess as my plugs are generally a darkish tan.

If your bike was stopping from fuel starvation I would expect a leaner appearance to the plugs.

I would definitely disconnect the killswitch to at least elimunate this as a possible fault. Not saying this IS your problem but Occams razor has to start it's cutting somewhere.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
that plug is running rich - or not burning fuel completely..

how old is the air filter ? and what sort of running around do you do on it...

how long were you running this plug before you took it out ??

it does not seem like a long term issue as it is not caked on, so it could be from not getting hot enough, or the wrong heat range, or clogged air filter - causing more fuel to get sucked in - meaning too much for the plug to burn..

you also mentioned no baffles ?? - could have an affect because of lack of back pressure, and scavenging of the cylinders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi 81custom, Air filter looks clean, replaced plugs 3 weeks ago and went on trip around 350k's , then parked it garage , try to start it the other day, hard to start , change spark plugs , starts first time, spark plugs I'm using are NGK 5329 DPR9EA-9, with the baffles side of things , should repack them with fibregrass matting cheers Alex

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shep, try that tommorow and should I get them 2 NGK spark plugs that you mention cheers Alex

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks Shep, try that tommorow and should I get them 2 NGK spark plugs that you mention cheers Alex

I've got an NGX Iridium DR8EIX plug here that has done over 20,000 miles and just found another one that I thought I had lost(Swapped engines) so may well put them back

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've got an NGX Iridium DR8EIX plug here that has done over 20,000 miles and just found another one that I thought I had lost(Swapped engines) so may well put them back
yeah right,lost it?.....probably swiped it out of sunflower

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
lol,well to loose 1 tax disc and 2 plugs,,,,mmm better than nicking the engine

I don't believe for a minute that you believe the PO ever knew about or put in Iridium plugs in it.He was trying to run the bike on Sunflowers

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't believe for a minute that you believe the PO ever knew about or put in Iridium plugs in it.He was trying to run the bike on Sunflowers
ha ha ha love it

probably couldnt even spell it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys, just a update on spark plugs , have removed resistor as mention in forum , funny about that no short rod ,just extra long spring and resistor , anyway I cut down Allan key , the size of resistor did the job and WD40 spary inside holder to stop corrosion. Started bike ,hmmmm no smoke when I rev it in high rev's , that a good sign ,I hope LOL.

emailed the owner before me ,and ask about the Baffles ,reply was someone has drilled holes in the aluminium end caps which beefs the note up a bit.but the baffles are still there, anyway sounds good ,but is it affecting the back pressure in the exhausted system !!!!! cheers Alex

1 - 19 of 19 Posts