Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there-

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the CX world. I have an '83 CX650 that I bought in September of 2013; unfortunately, nine days after I bought it, a 16-year old girl (who had gotten her license a week before and was actually on her cellphone) made an illegal left turn in front of me. I hit the front of her SUV, flew over the hood and broke my kneecap and my neck upon landing.

Pretty much recovered now-about as good as its gonna get, I'm afraid-and am beginning to get the bike sorted out. Not much damage to it; a broken clutch lever and a snapped off spark plug insulator. The lever is simple, but what/where do I get an insulator, or better yet, a new set of wires and insulators? The length of the insulator is a bit daunting-I haven't found any listed in the parts sources I've tried.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. In advance, thank you very much!

Best, Jon, a.k.a. Ploeppe

·
Super Moderator
21,250 Posts
Pretty sure the 500 boots are the same as the 650 except for the square rubber that can be swapped.

If so, David Silvers etc. have the caps.

650 owners can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the parts to compare to be certain.

Glad you're OK.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Aside from the boot, I'd be taking a hard look at the square of the frame, that does not sound like a very nice hit. Search the forum or WIKI for frame dimension true numbers and tests.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aside from the boot, I'd be taking a hard look at the square of the frame, that does not sound like a very nice hit. Search the forum or WIKI for frame dimension true numbers and tests.

Joel in the Couve
Thanks-I will. The irony was that I wasn't going fast- maybe 10-15 mph when we collided. I had just started from a dead stop; she was stopped as if yielding right-of-way. Wrong-O! When I got up to about 15 feet from her she lunged in front of me. So I took the worst of it, but I will check the bike to make sure there aren't any untoward bends! Actually, I think my front wheel hit her tire of all things.

Boy, did it hurt! :nightmare:
Thanks for your input.

Best,
Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts