Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the sexiest modification, but something I learned while working in area 51.... Indexing plugs is probably old hat to many here, but if not, it may be something you want to try. "Indexing" simply means using shims-washers to position the gap of the plug to fire in a consistent and it's most efficient direction.... Mine are facing directly toward the intake. I dunno if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better
indexing spark plugs

Edit: racers will index using the method above everyone else will just use shims-washers made for indexing.... available at any auto parts emporium

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Very interesting, the fact that you used this technique in Area 51 that is.

Never heard of this indexing procedure, sound promising though.

Not sure if is possible for me as I run these E3

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
How do you like the E3? Even though I hate my Torrent, it is the one year round mode of transportation I have, and thought about getting the E3s for it- but some people say it's no different from any other spark plug they've used

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well Dakota I can say the old bikes fire up faster, as far as power not so sure if it is in my head or is a fact,

but does appear to pull a little better.

Just put a set in the F-150 2 days ago, time will tell, I don't normally track my MPG, so can't give you that stat.

My 3 friends and co-workers that have them say they noticed improved performance and MPG.

Some say it is snake oil type BS, so I suppose you may just have to try them and form you own opinion.

I figured it was worth the try in the bikes as only needed 2 in the CX and 4 for the GL.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Your info says your GL is naked- was that recent? Maybe it was in MY head, but it seemed as if the fairing acted like a sail, with the amount of drag it provided, maybe it's the placement, because I don't see that little bit of weight affecting it... but I noticed when I took my fairing off, the bike was WAY snappier, moving and shifting into gears very fast and effortlessly.

After going for a decent ride on it though, I'll still keep my fairing.. LOL

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll betcha the e3s could use some indexing...interesting plug design but there is no way they are going to create an even pattern of combustion from that web of a strap. Iriduims kind of make all this mute with no strap over the elctrode... how much do e3s cost? I'll try anything new if it's not overly pricey.. indexing is basically free, and it can't hurt.

For a good time, Try Dimpling your strap, bend it up, and put a small dimple w a drill bit (maybe .02 deep x 1/16 round, right over where the center electrode would be pointed... re gap to spec, index plugs toward the squeeze side of cyl and race on!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Your info says your GL is naked- was that recent? Maybe it was in MY head, but it seemed as if the fairing acted like a sail, with the amount of drag it provided, maybe it's the placement, because I don't see that little bit of weight affecting it... but I noticed when I took my fairing off, the bike was WAY snappier, moving and shifting into gears very fast and effortlessly.

After going for a decent ride on it though, I'll still keep my fairing.. LOL

GL is naked and has been since purchase, fairings were an option for the Gold Wing back then.

And no I don't think it was in your head, when the fairing is installed on any ride it does have aerodynamic qualities,

but at the same time added drag. Just put a windshield on any bike and you will notice it immediately.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I don't see how indexing the spark plug would make any difference at all in an engine design where the plug is oriented in the top center of the cylinder. At the firing cycle the spark would be in the same spot and the post orientation has no effect on firing. You're not going to get a 2 way burn in a CX engine unless you have a hot spot in the engine, indexing won't do anything for that.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see how indexing the spark plug would make any difference at all in an engine design where the plug is oriented in the top center of the cylinder. At the firing cycle the spark would be in the same spot and the post orientation has no effect on firing. You're not going to get a 2 way burn in a CX engine unless you have a hot spot in the engine, indexing won't do anything for that.

I was looking for a picture of a head to post and found this... http://members.unitewireless.com/~williamwilson/CX_Rebuild_3.asp

His head illustrates the idea of firing directly into or away from the ex valves. Note how dirty his intakes are while the ex are relatively clean. I wonder what it would look like if his plug was oriented 90degrees facing directly at one pair of intake and ex valves and away from the other. I at least think it does not hurt anything to have both plug gaps oriented in the same direction. If I had 22$ for Iridiums right now...I know my plugs would be indexed.

Cobrahm, at least It's cheaper than snake oil or that collection of your "elixer's"
still laughing at that... Mad Dog 2020

now I gotta go back to that site and figure out how to get to his homepage... I wonder if it belongs to a CX forum member?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Indexing would make no difference. The only reason that the exhaust valves ALWAYS have less residue and build up on them is because they operate at a much higher temp than the intakes. The intake valve is closed while the combustion gasses and heat are swirling past the exhaust. On the intake stroke, the atomized gasoline and cold air keep the intakes at a much lower temp than the exhaust, which is conducive to the build up of carbon.

It can get really bad depending on the engine design, interference engines in some German cars can and do seize because of the buildup on the valves and pistons, when you take the head off or look in the cylinder with a boroscope, the exhaust valves are relatively clean while the cooler parts like the piston and intakes are coated deep.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how the spark plug is oriented. Some MD 20/20 down the intake will probably do more good than indexing the plugs, but then you'd have to replace the exhaust where it'll eat through the chrome and H-box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts