Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lovely wife in an attempt to help me ordered a replacement coil from ebay. She didn't notice the boot at the bottom is broken. So my idea is, I replace the boot of my cracked coil with this one. I don't want to cut wires unless I have no choice... so thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
It will fire straight to the inside of the head with that broken piece missing. Rickbert had one just like yours but he glued the piece back on and it still shorted out and fired to ground instead of through the plug. You'll need to replace that cap. They just unscrew off the wire. No cutting needed.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have been running with one like this for quite some time. I could not find the missing piece, ( probably went out the exhaust port
) I wrapped the cap with friction tape, heat shrinked it.... and have forgotten about it till now. Is there any suitable non oem replacement cap available anywhere? I have everything I need to build new wires but never could find caps that were close to original.

Mines an 82... I think I recall, the coils are different in the way the plug wires are attached.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I know someone in the past found replacements but I don't know where they got them. Have you tried the dealer to see if they can get one yet?

The wires on the 82 coils unscrew at both ends. There is a crimp style cap that holds it into the coil with a rubber ring under it. It makes it easy to replace them.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have been running with one like this for quite some time. I could not find the missing piece, ( probably went out the exhaust port
) I wrapped the cap with friction tape, heat shrinked it.... and have forgotten about it till now. Is there any suitable non oem replacement cap available anywhere? I have everything I need to build new wires but never could find caps that were close to original.

Mines an 82... I think I recall, the coils are different in the way the plug wires are attached.
nolavox,i thought it was the other way around.....early models were welded together,coil,lead and cap.later[inc.82] were 3 seperate parts,screwed together.

but,as usual,i could be wrong

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine looks like an all in one. I'm not at home to tinker with it however.....

below is the original listing.... not really happy with it atm... considering returning it and going with the tecoparts coils...but really want to get the bike running.

My link

·
Registered
329 Posts
There are some universal boots made by ngk that you can make work for about four bucks a piece. I got them from my local Honda dealer. I had to keep some of the rubber bits from the original boot to make them work, but otherwise, no issues

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
329 Posts

More like this.

NGK Plug cap

They make a few different sizes. You want the biggest one you can find because you want your round cover to seat itself just on top of the boot. If you get one that's too short, your cover won't cover up the valve cover. Also, while your at it, change the wire. You should be able to get replacement spark plug wire from a lawnmower repair shop for cheap. The boots will thread into the wire and the other end will attach to your coil.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
nolavox,i thought it was the other way around.....early models were welded together,coil,lead and cap.later[inc.82] were 3 seperate parts,screwed together.

but,as usual,i could be wrong

Larry... My Honda dealer... at least the one I could have walked to, Closed for Business a couple weeks ago RIP "Boyce" Honda.

El Bandit, that's what I have ( comes apart).

Ive got a couple dyna-coil coils I want to use and could just not find a suitable boot...

thanks for posting the NGK links @wooterson @jon

Edit: PS I looked at the link for the coil... Grim cycles is Grim indeed. Nice deceptive picture and no mention of the broken end... I'd make them eat it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thought I would take a picture. The top two rubber grommets were harvested from the old boot. The big round one obviously keeps the water out and the smaller one adds the needed height to get it to seat itself correctly. The part number on the boot is the same that I linked to. These have a nipple under the rubber piece that threads on just like our stock boots.

Unfortunately, they're not 90 degree angled but after the performance increase I noticed after swapping over to new parts, I don't give a rip.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Jon, now that you have the cap replaced, have you taken a look inside them? Look at THIS LINK to see how they come apart. You don't have to replace the resistor if you don't want to but it's a good idea. Be sure that when they are done you can see brass down inside where the spring sits. I use a long flat tipped screwdriver to scrape out an corrosion.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jon, now that you have the cap replaced, have you taken a look inside them? Look at THIS LINK to see how they come apart. You don't have to replace the resistor if you don't want to but it's a good idea. Be sure that when they are done you can see brass down inside where the spring sits. I use a long flat tipped screwdriver to scrape out an corrosion.

Larry, I pulled the boots apart and drilled out the innards, but still had issues. I think when we were talking you mentioned that another member had a hairline crack in his and it was causing all kinds of problems. I think maybe that's what I had going on too. After that I took a gamble on these universal boots and never looked back. I think I spent more on the extra long drill bit than I did these boots and then sourcing the brass replacements was also an issue. Eventually I might try and bring the bike back to stock form and I kept the old plug caps just in case, but for now these will work just fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
So next question, presuming I get those caps and decide later to get the aftermarket teco coils how hard is it going to be set those up?

Click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=335

Quite a few people over there have bought parts from the excellent,Wemoto as they ship to the US and are a good company,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

The none resistor type plug caps on this page are better than the resistor type and will fit.

and this is how my Universal CDI coil is fitted,

Note the wire on the right of the coil has nothing to do with the ignition,it's a ground wire for my electric fan conversion.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.