Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering the resistors in the boots were toasted, I picked up some brass rod yesterday. Pulled everything apart today, cut the brass to compensate for removal of the resistor, checked out every piece separately using a multimeter and every piece separately read 0 ohms (though the boots did give me a bit of an issue, but got them cleaned). Here is the issue, when I put it all together my resistance is now maxed out. Pulled everything apart, rechecked all pieces separately, which tested good. Did some isolation and it appears that when using the springs, the spring is not making good contact inside the assembly (springs tested fine, and I cleaned them up anyway to make sure). I am thinking that there may be too much corrosion deep inside the boot itself that is not allowing the spring to make good contact. Has anybody else seen this issue.



Fiddled around and got one of the assemblies to ohm out fine, but the other is not going to work. Threw them back on the bike, and after having to shoot some (ok, alot) carb cleaner into the fuel line, she did fire up and ran pretty good. My popping has diminished. Rode her for about 10 miles with no issues.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
The flat surface up inside the cap where the spring sits is brass. It collects the corrosion pretty thick up there. I use a thin flat blade screwdriver that has nice and flat edges to scrape around inside to clean the brass off. The outside edge of the circle is the most important. That's where the spring sits. A little dielectric grease helps to keep it from corroding again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flat surface up inside the cap where the spring sits is brass. It collects the corrosion pretty thick up there. I use a thin flat blade screwdriver that has nice and flat edges to scrape around inside to clean the brass off. The outside edge of the circle is the most important. That's where the spring sits. A little dielectric grease helps to keep it from corroding again.


That's what I was thinking. I already tried a screwdriver and even resorted to using a drill bit. That got one of them to work, but the other may be too far gone. Ordered new boots last night. Hopefully they are the non-resistor type as the part # stated it was a replacement for a previous one. Just have to wait and see when they show up.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top