Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm building up an engine from my spares, but I'm caught short on a number of things, and have simply got some queries with other items:

If anyone in the UK has these spare to sell to me.... pretty please?

• CDI Stator /w pickups: I will take 2nd hand- so long as it works. Most importantly is that I don't have any pickups... I'd rather stay with CDI unit because I don't want to change wiring on the bike if I have to swap engines in the midle of the night.
  • Oil filter spring washer...that special washer
  • Gear shift shaft spring.
I don't have the washers for both the gear shift shaft, or any for the starter motor intermediate gear - Could I use just copper washers here?? Same for the gear shift shaft.. If not, what are the sizes so that I could find appropriate steel ones?

What are people's experience with the aftermarket chain guides being sold on David Silver's ?

I need clutch friction plates- but i'm prepared to buy brand new.

Many thanks, and really appreciate anyones help here..

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
If you need to, it's not hard to swap rear covers during an engine change, so you wouldn't need a second good stator.
Here, at least, the oil filter washer is still available from Honda.
The washers on the starter gear spindle are a specific thickness (don't recall the dimension.) In the past, I've used 1/2" thrust washers after thinning them on a whetstone. I think these might also be available through the dealer.
Copper washers are meant for sealing. They would wear very quickly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm building up an engine from my spares, but I'm caught short on a number of things, and have simply got some queries with other items:

If anyone in the UK has these spare to sell to me.... pretty please?

• CDI Stator /w pickups: I will take 2nd hand- so long as it works. Most importantly is that I don't have any pickups... I'd rather stay with CDI unit because I don't want to change wiring on the bike if I have to swap engines in the midle of the night.
  • Oil filter spring washer...that special washer
  • Gear shift shaft spring.
I don't have the washers for both the gear shift shaft, or any for the starter motor intermediate gear - Could I use just copper washers here?? Same for the gear shift shaft.. If not, what are the sizes so that I could find appropriate steel ones?

What are people's experience with the aftermarket chain guides being sold on David Silver's ?

I need clutch friction plates- but i'm prepared to buy brand new.

Many thanks, and really appreciate anyones help here..
David silver chain guides are ok, but I had to bend one of the end holes in one to a better shap for it to locate properly.

·
Super Moderator
21,251 Posts
I made thrust washers for gear shift spindle and starter idler from stainless washers a while back.

Stainless should have enough wear resistance.

Nolimitz sizing is accurate.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I managed to find the filter washer online.

Randall - I agree- it's not hard, but I do it constantly, but it's messy, and invariably a new gasket is required. I'm prepared to pay for the ability to keep the engine in one piece whilst swapping as I am sick of taking parts from one to use in the other if work needs to be done without any bike downtime.

Thanks Soggz.

Nolimitz - which washers you talking about - the starter gear, or the gear shift washer?

I have another gear selector lever mechanism, I might see if I can take the spring off that and see if that will fit for use for the gear shift shaft.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
They are not the same. The starter reduction gear washers are 12mm. Not sure the size of the shift spindle, but it is different.
The one I measured was from the shift shaft from engine on bench?

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I'll need to look for them on the workbench where I have my 650 apart. I'm pretty sure there's something that makes the shift shaft washer unique, but I don't recall what it is.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It looks like it has the same part number on CMSNL.

I've managed to get the selector spring I had spare to be used as the shift shaft spring- might be a bit thin, but it looks like it's about the same length stretched out as it is in it's former use. Unless someone else can recommend a more suited spring??

And I've found some generic stainless steel washers, 12x18x1. As well as CMSNL mentioning the same part number, with the micrometer, I can measure that there wouldn't really be anything special with the shift shaft washer, that I could see anyway..

Maybe the 650 version is slightly different?

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright guys. It's coming together. I've got everything I think to make a concourse standard engine, internally anyway, including stainless steel washers, o-rings, new oil seals and ball bearings too.

The only thing is a makeshift spring on the gear selector shaft, and other than getting a stator and impeller I'm all set.

I just have to find the time to work away at mating those valves into their seats and I can have a single 'entity'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm almost done with this build and it's almost in one piece, actually.

I have managed to procure a 2nd hand CDI biased stator/pickups for a good price but was from Germany.

All the meter checks check out except 5/9 - Which is a reading of 322 ohms instead of between 387-473. Haynes book however has a note against this reading and says that 'indiscriminate' models seem to have resistence ranges from 315-385. And Honda Service manual says it corresponds to the engine numbers- but the spare engine I am building have no engine number stamps- But it suppose it more correlatest to the CDI box itself anyway.. So I'm not entirely sure how to proceed..

I'm going to measure the resistence of these figures on my other cx engine currently in frame and ponder this one out.

Stator itself looks very good and unburnt, It doesn't look like it has actually done many miles. Can anyone confirm or not the above by Haynes?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my on frame engine/stator has a result of 422 which is fine for that application.

My CDI box has stamped on it TIAO2-14. So Is it a different resistence range determinant of the requirements of the CDI box? hmmm

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I have checked the 5/9 reading on my 1980 model it has been around 335. Had no problems so far, touch wood. All other readings were within published spec.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's interesting.. And gives me food for thought.. I guess i'll just plonk it all together and see how it goes.............:unsure::unsure:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts