Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,
I would like to replace the 2 L-shaped rubber hoods that cover the spade connectors on the clutch switch. Connection works fine, it is just the hoods that are ready to disintegrate.
I tried multiple searches here and online to find a supplier, but no dice.
Anybody knows where I can purchase them?
Thanks in advance!
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,677 Posts
You might have some luck here:

·
Super Moderator
24,188 Posts
I tend to replace the terminals with straight 4 mm OEM type connectors with boots, but generally one or the other terminal is MIA or down to its last couple of strands of wire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for your replys/suggestions.
Yes, these hoods are quite small, much, much smaller than spark plugs boots.
Still looking, but in the meantime I will wrap them in electrical tape as a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,677 Posts
Heat shrink would be better.

Reactions: nolimitz and Davide

·
Registered
1983 CX650C, 1982 GL500
52 Posts
They're called flag terminals. Not an endorsement, but I've ordered stuff from cycleterminal.com before with no problems, here's a link to the insulators they carry: Insulator sleeves Now that you know what they're called, you can probably find them from other sellers, too. Hopefully you'll be able to slip a new insulator over the old terminal without tearing it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,305 Posts
Note that insulator sleeves usually need to have the wire passed through them before you crimp the terminal onto the wire so if you get the sleeves you may not be able to install them without replacing the terminals too.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I had to google that one, Mark.... :p

I've heard of the book & phrase, just didn't know who wrote it.

·
Super Moderator
24,188 Posts
He made the term up.

The book was originally to be Catch 18 but shortly before its publication Leon Uris book Mila 18 was released so the name was changed to catch 22.

It's a great book. The US has produced many great authors.

Which is why I replace the terminals. 😁

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, great book and, yes, that's the plan. I will take some time this winter to remove fairing, tank, seat, side covers and go over the wiring addressing a few issues. Maybe even upgrade steering head bearings while I am at it...

·
Registered
1983 CX650C, 1982 GL500
52 Posts
Even as a native English speaker, if I could have a nickel for every hour I've spent trying to figure out what to call something only to happen upon the 'proper' name and go 'oh, that makes sense!' I'd have a lot of nickel. Terminology is tricky, but I do find eBay to be pretty useful in figuring out what something should be called since sellers will throw in a bunch of keywords and you'll often stumble upon what you're looking for with a little persistence.

If you do decide to cut off the connector and install new ones, you'll want to get a crimp tool with a die for non-insulated flag terminals since a normal, non-insulated terminal die will crush a flag terminal. So, it might be worth a shot to see if you're lucky and can slip a new insulator on and save a few bucks for all the 'while I'm in here' repairs that come when deciding to dive into fixing little problems and then the next thing you know you're down do a bare frame asking 'how did this happen?' shortly followed by 'I spent how much?!?'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, terminology can definitely be tricky!
Thanks for the tip on the specific crimp tool, I had no idea.
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to "I will just tidy up things a bit under the seat..." and end up with a non-runner in boxes! I had a few Triumphs from Meridien when I lived back in Milan and definitely went into them way too deep!
With this GL I seem to have lucked out, and will think carefully before picking up tools to fix things that do not need to be fixed!!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,305 Posts
You probably won't ever need to crimp enough flag spade terminals to justify the cost of a proper crimping tool for them. FWIW, I have a pretty good assortment of terminals & tools and both of my bikes have straight spade terminals on the wires to both the clutch switch and the brake light switch.

And BTW, what we have been referring to as "spade" terminals really aren't. They are properly called Faston terminals (original manufacturer's brand name for them), tab terminals or blade terminals (that's where blade fuses get their name from).
Spade terminals are actually the ones that look like a 2 pronged fork and are intended for used under screws.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts