Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this 40k mile GL650I last weekend for $600, intending to build a scrambler. It sat under a tarp for two years. It now runs thanks to cleaning up the wiring at the yellow stator wire connector and a new battery. Starting disassembly.

Did a compression test (90 & 120lbs) and it needs rings for sure and probably the valves lapped & adjusted. Engine coming out for the 3x bypass as well.

Things I'd like to do:

Rae San ignition
Different clocks
Leather seat
CBR rear shock
Mild Knobbies
Murray's Carbs
BBCR 2-into-2 exhaust (or something)
Some cheery color.

I'm likely to keep my side covers though, I understand it's popular to leave a big hole under the seat, but its just not my thing.

Appreciate all the comments and advice in advance.

Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Murray, exactly 40k on the bike. Sadly, even when run for a few days the dry compression was sub 90 psi and came up to 120'ish in both cylinders with a tablespoon of 20w-50 dribbled in. The rings are shot I think.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It will take several hard runs to get the gunk out of the ring lands but you can help it along with using some sort of penetrating solution (even straight kero) xsquirted into the cylinders and left to sit over night.
Then a leak down test will tell you much more, you may have valves that need reseating or guides that need replacing which is easier and cheaper than tearing down to do rings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...a leak down test will tell you much more, you may have valves that need reseating or guides that need replacing which is easier and cheaper than tearing down to do rings.
I don't disagree.

Never really done one before, at least properly. Whay setup do you use?

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the stator test just now from motofaction, it doesn't fail any of the resistance or continuity checks but it doesn't produce any voltage running disconnected. Each wire reads 2-3v when runing, and eventually heat up enough to make me uncomfortable, and then I shut the bike off.

Stator just shot or is this the rectifier?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A picture. The stator connector was a crumbly mess when I got the bike, so I don't know really which wire is A, B, or C, just kept it consistent with the test...

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Havent had time to work on the bike inn the last week much, but ill give you a call Murray.

I did however source piston rings, a full gasket set and a couple of special tools I needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Left side head off, cylinder wall is smooth like glass. Measures 82.46mm just above bdc at piston crown. Valve springs and rocker arms look to be in good shape, so are the pushrods. I'm putting new rings in but I won't be able to get them to seat correctly with the glaze on the cylinder wall so I'll have to hone just a touch to rough them up. Compression was 120 psi in this cylinder, even with a squirt of 20w-50 so it needs rings and valves lapped. 171psi is spec.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before picture of valves. The intake seats were just a little dirty but the exhaust seats were pitted, all were in need of a good scraping, clean up. All got lapped in with fine compound. No "Italian tune up" or "ride it and see what happens" would have improved this mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clutch out, easy as pie using the right tool. Please note, sometime taking apart a non-broken engine is good, look at the misplaced seal here causing a leak.

Attachments

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Three valves lapped...look at the awful black yuck on the exhaust valve seat. I think the first exhaust seat could use a little more love, still some small pits.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts