Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 79 honda cx500 custom for 200.00 and only has a bad cam tensioner(haha).. anyways I am picking it up this weekend and am totally thrilled.. talked to the guy and he is only selling it that low because of the cam tensioner, otherwise starts right up.. oh and where could I get a cheap cam tensioner from? Ebay, or an aftermarket cam tensioner? thanks for your guys input..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think you can buy them new from Honda or a number of online sources including occasionally on eBay.

It would probably pay to buy new rather than used.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found one for 64 bucks from honda, sound right or do you think i could find a better one cheaper?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
found one for 64 bucks from honda, sound right or do you think i could find a better one cheaper?

Well if you are getting that from Honda, it should be new. So better than new I doubt it.

Cheaper maybe from e-bay, but go with new cause you never know how long used is going to last. Do you want to find out the hard way?

Good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah honda it is.. ebay I have bought from and yes you are rolling the dice with them.. thanks guys

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The only way I'd put in a used one is if I knew for an absolute fact it had less than 10K miles on it and the bike had been taken care of. A low oil level would cause premature wear to this component as much as it would to many other things.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Never believe anything a previous owner tells you, unless it's your mother (and she still likes you). I wouldn't order the new part until you verify that's what, and all (unlikely) it needs. You'll not save time, because you'll be waitng for other parts anyway. That bike took 30 years to find you, show it some patience. You're starting a long term relationship, invest yourself in it.

Is it that real purdy dark blue?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discounthondaparts.com lists it for $50.28. I have made a shopping cart there, printed it and gone to a local Honda dealer that has always matched their prices. The dealer never stocks the parts so they just order them from Honda, and as they don't have their capital at risk I don't feel bad haggling
their prices down.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discounthondaparts.com lists it for $50.28. I have made a shopping cart there, printed it and gone to a local Honda dealer that has always matched their prices. The dealer never stocks the parts so they just order them from Honda, and as they don't have their capital at risk I don't feel bad haggling
their prices down.

We get a 10% discount from discounthondaparts.com.

Just put "attention:John, please add the CX500 forum 10% discount, thanks." in the comments section when you finalize the order.

With price matching you're actually paying 10% more + sales tax from your local stealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.