Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took a short ride just to get out of the house and keep the gas in the bowls from gumming up. As some of you might remember I live out in the country...and on my was back home - just about 1/4 mile from the house actually - something crossed the road about 300 feet in front of me. It took a few seconds for it to sink in as to what it was.

A cougar. Some call them panthers.

I was shocked and amazed and wondering if it was in fact what I saw so I glanced over to where it went into te brush and there it was. It had stopped and turned back and was looking at me from about 30 feet from the side of the road.

I wish I would have had a chance to stop and take a pic but I didn't even have my phone with me.

Anybody else seen anything besides deer and the more common stuff?

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Some animals are a bit tricky to find. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan Moose are present but you never see them. I saw one of those. And another time I saw a bob cat.

·
Registered
993 Posts
J.J. Might want to warn the neighbors and have the dogs inside for a bit as cougars will take a dog if they are hungry. They aren't typically afraid of man either. Very formidable and dangerous cats...

I looked at an apartment when I moved to Sierra Vista a couple years ago that was near forest land and they have had bears and cougars/mountain lions in that area and it was common. The Monument AZ fire took out most of the vegetation on the Huachuca mountain range from the south end where it the Monument fire started for about 5-7 miles north so, lots of animal habitat and range are gone with the fire. So, there will be the wild pigs, deer, antelope, and a mountain lion coming out of the mountains looking for food.

A small herd of antelope and lots of javelina (wild pig) have come north and down onto Ft. Huachuca friends have reported...

I've not been on the fort for a while, so I've not seen them.

The mountain lions I've known of haven't been at all afraid of any dogs or otherwise...they know they are more than equal to several large dogs.

David

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Hmmmm a cougar. While getting a picture of such a beautiful animal (assuming your taking cougar/cat and not cougar/60 year old woman) would be so cool, Im sure I would have gunned it and made sure I got above 65mph. While really cute (i love cats) I sure wouldnt stop... just in case the poor beast was currently on a "2 week cant find food trip", at which point I would look like a tasty meal on a loud thing lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It didn't happen on the bike, but I have seen black bears beside the road in Southeast Virginia (Suffolk, to be precise!). Saw one running up one side of a cornfield about a mile from my folks' home. Dad and I stopped and watched the bear run up the field, appreciating the encounter, and then continued up the road. As we passed the far side of the cornfield, we saw 2-3 dogs running down the lane with their noses to the ground, apparently tracking the bear! Bear sightings are not too uncommon around the Great Dismal Swamp.

The biggest animal to cross my path on the bike has been a moderately sized groundhog!

·
Registered
860 Posts
J.J. - From your post I take it cougars are rare in your part of the country? They are here too but in recent years there have been more and more sightings, even on the prairie where they follow river bottoms. Every summer there are now sightings along the river that runs through this city and even into adjacent neighborhoods. It is believed that because there are fewer hunters every year and deer populations are exploding, there is more prey for them. There are also more reported attacks on humans, some saying its not only because of their increasing numbers but because they are not shot at as much as before (every farmer used to have a rifle by the porch door) and have lost their fear of humans.

It's a rare treat to see one.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the fiance and her mother there are a couple of them out here all the time, they just don't make their presence known very often. I for one am glad they're here. They keep the coyotes, which are a HUGE pain in the ass, away.

We're having a deer explosion as well. They don't issue doe permits for places under 200 acres so we're seeing bunches of them. Usually a couple or more every day. Coming home from work at night on the bike I basically crawl down the road since I know full well I'm gonna see some and they're most likely to cross the road ahead of me.

As for the rifle naxt to the door...next to mine there's a shotgun, rifle, .22, and a BB gun!

We live out in the country, ya know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts