Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I actually contacted them a month ago and they are no longer making them. The gentleman who responded said there are a couple sets that are half done but that they're not likely to get around to them anytime soon.

I was actually going to offer to buy them even if they weren't finished but the critical parts (bolt holes, center hole, gasket groove etc.) he said were not done and so not anything I could see finishing on my end.

A 6x6 block of T6 is about $260 by itself, I asked a local CNC machine shop what it'd cost me to have a custom set made and it was unreasonable to even consider it.
I did buy a set of finished covers from Scheffers, they are beautiful and I also bought a couple sets of these cast covers as well. I figured a little time on the mill would clean them up and maybe a custom made emblem to go where the "Honda" is cast in, would complete the look. These cast covers were more of a nostalgia thing as I remember when they first came out in I think the Rocky catalog back in the 70's. CNC stuff was just a dream back then.

Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
I had a similar set with the center of the A and O missing. But that wasn't all, the paint was terrible. Any mild solvent would take it right off, like it was never even there. AND mine were so porous they leaked oil through the aluminum and got my left knee covered in oil after a long ride. No, they didn't leak at the rubber gaskets, I checked. The oil was coming through the casting. I used them to seal up an old motor so the heads weren't exposed, and then shitcanned them during a garage purge many years later.

Charles.

Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had a similar set with the center of the A and O missing. But that wasn't all, the paint was terrible. Any mild solvent would take it right off, like it was never even there. AND mine were so porous they leaked oil through the aluminum and got my left knee covered in oil after a long ride. No, they didn't leak at the rubber gaskets, I checked. The oil was coming through the casting. I used them to seal up an old motor so the heads weren't exposed, and then shitcanned them during a garage purge many years later.

Charles.

That might explain why there aren't more around. It's a shame they didn't put a smidge more effort into them.

I ought to change to title from lucky to dumb maybe lol

Registered
1982 GL500i
The seller got lucky & managed to sell the un-sell-able, so it's not wrong in that regard, lol!

Reactions: Sidecar Bob
21 - 27 of 27 Posts