Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might go by an automotive paint store and check these out, I was getting a fresh can of the Gulf Blue I'm using on mine, I decided since the 1/2 can I already had was 6 or 7 years old it might be a good idea not to use it.

These colors really stood out as being very interesting for a motorcycle: (all paint codes are DuPont codes)

B9901 Gulf Blue Metallic Effect (what I'm using, has a deep metalflake content)

M0411 Space Blue Metallic (a bit brighter/lighter than the above, I really liked it)

F7988 Meadow Green Metallic (hard to describe, you've got to see it in person, it's outstanding)

M3308 Sunset Orange Metallic (not as orange as it sounds, really mellow, rich color)

B9252 Gunmetal Metallic (unlike any other gunmetal paints I've seen due to the depth perception)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey marshall how much paint do you think you will have left after you paint your bike? i am needing to repaint mine so i am thinking about having your help some time if you can that is.......

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a ton if you can put up with the color although I've got about 8 other colors on the shelf all of which are nearly full cans.

I'll have blues, reds, whites and who knows what else is out there.

Any luck on finding a better job yet? If PepBoys is going to take their sweet time I'd get out to the other similar type places. I also talked with their service manager the other day and on top of that base salary they're only paying something like $5.50 per book hour in commission and that isn't right, it should be a minimum of 30% and many places pay 50% if you're on straight commission.

Let's say book time to replace a starter is 1 hour. They charge something like $65/hr per book hour to the customer.

See what I mean? Make sure you've got a phone book and call every automotive place around here.

In time I'd also like to see you go through the ASE Certifications. I recently looked and they're about 10 times as easy now as they were when I firt took them. Having them is not only almost an "instant hire" situation" but you can command more money.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
right now i am working at a fencing company for now......but i dont mind a blue bike i love blue

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've got two shades of blue

Medium Gulf Blue Metallic effect: Bright blue with a tiny hint of green, lots of metalflake (wht I'm using)

Midnight blue: a far deepr, darker blue. Stand out as blue when viewed directly, gets darker to almost black the more of an angle you're at. It was a very popular color that was only used on a very few Grand Prixs and Z-28 Camaros

I'm all tired out from running errands, when I get some strength back up I may make a list of what I have.

Paint is strange stuff. There was a Nissan color almost identical to mine but it was $38/can whereas mine was only $16

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hmmm i like both the blues you have i guess i would just have to see if you would let me use some of one because i really really really need a new paint job and i see your pretty good at painting so i know it will be done right so just let me know buddy and i am glad we are finally getting some wet stuff around here.......

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, it's been an unusually dry spring around here but when we gt them it usually gets made up for in May.

See how stuff is starting to green up? One thing you'll also love is the fall when the trees start to turn color, especially as you drive out East of town a ways.

The color part of paint is usully pretty cheap as in $14 - $20 for a pint. Write down those colors these blue colors I have and also flip through all the books they have at the O'Reilly Auto that's located at 4200 North May Avenue. You may find a color/shade/effect you like a lot better.

I just looked, don't have anywhere near as much as I thought:

B9901 Code 26 Medium Gulf Blue Effect (one I'm using)

B8618 Code 38 Black Sapphire Effect (the other far darker blue)

C8508 Code 81 Flame Red

B9714 Code 17 Silver Mist Effect

B8949 Code 31 Arctic White (but I added metalflake and Pearl to it)

Best example I could find on that Black Sapphire: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=407603

Surprise, I found my three cans of real old fashioned black powder (not the new artificial stuff)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooh, I saw a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 that was painted in a color similar to the M3308 Sunset Orange Metallic, it was a tiny bit more orange though. It really, really looked good, actually outstanding is the word.

----

----

I also just did a big no-no earlier today, wasn't paying attention (probably partially due to all the pain pills I'm on) and I accidentally veered too much to the right and smacked my right front tire into the curb while I was doing about 40 mph. Threw the alignment out pretty bad so it's in the shop to get re-aligned. The only consolation is if I can find a big pothole somewhere in the City I can blame it on hitting the pothole and the City will reimburse me for the cost of the alignment. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
You have to look for potholes!?! This morning I was able to just barely skirt one that would have certainly removed my tire and half of what is underneath my car. It was about two feet across and as deep. I guess this afternoon it will be filled with pieces of someone's car that was behind me with a orange cone in front of it.. I didn't know the city is responsible. Maybe that is why our city is broke.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some cities will pay so long as you can make a good case out of it including pictures. (manually change the date if you have a digital camera if necessary)

No wonder the DuPont Nason / GM Color #B9901 Code 26 Gulf Blue Metallic Effect (what I'm using, has a deep metalflake content) has the tiniest hint of green to it. (most blues lean towards the red and a very few are truly blue only) I didn't know this but the label on the can came unglued and underneath was another label showing the ingredients used to mix the paint.

430-93 Basecoat Fixer 416.2

430-15 Permanent Blue 113.5

430-13 Non-Flop Blue 132.7

430-33 Sparkle Aluminum 144.3

430-16 Yellow Green 147.1

Sounds like it would be a strange color but it just looks like a pure blue on a car, it's the color my '98 GTP Pace Car came in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts