Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Now isn't that some interesting info.

I only use stick ones since people like misplacing my needle gauge ones. I'm sure if I had digital they would be long gone.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I skimmed the article. It's no longer a point of interest once you get a Moroso gauge. I have an old Moroso pro that goes from 0-50 psi, large face, positive check engagement even after all these years. A friend recently bought a $100+ digital gauge from SnapOn for his shop. My decades old Moroso was still balls on compared to the SnapOn yardstick.

For our purposes, the article is correct, an error in the range of the gauges tested will make NO difference to us.

Where it does make a difference is on cars and trucks with low profile tires on after market wheels, and cars which have 2 different size wheels/tires front and back. A couple pounds difference between tires on some of these, and premature tire wear means big, big bucks.

Thanks for posting, interesting to see the writeup, something as important as tire pressure and no one really questions or cares about the gauge 99% of the time.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Or have a car whose handling is dependent (intentionally) on the tire pressure. I like my cars flat (no under or over steer) and as it sits that works out to be 34 Front / 36 Rear, would be an equal 34 if I put on my different rear sway bar.

A car that's adjusted "flat" will break traction on both the front and rear at the same time thus can slide perfectly sideways. Most cars come from the factory with a fair amount of built-in understeer; the rear will break loose first which is far safer presented an inexperienced driver. You'd never want to drive a car with much if any oversteer, that presents a dangerous situation.

Even if not designed to do so most cars will exhibit some affect from tire inflation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.