Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

As I was working in two CX500, both '79, we figured that a lot of people had had a lot of problems with the cam chain tensioner.
We were thinking about a solution for it, so we remplace the OEM cam chain tensioner with other that I had worked.

Is based in an special tensioner and a custom plate made with CAD-CAM.

Here come some photos,

DSCF0589.JPG
DSCF0590.JPG
DSCF0591.JPG
DSCF0592.JPG
DSCF0593.JPG
DSCF0594.JPG
DSCF0595.JPG
DSCF0598.JPG

Here is the part made with CAD-CAM

Cam_Chain.2.jpg

As soon as we ride the motorcycle, we will comment the results
Hope you like it! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The slider is made of polyethylene, so it can support the chain and the tensioner is automatic

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If this works out, I'll surely be interested. please keep us posted. How long do you intend to run the engine before checking the condition of the new tensioner?
Dan

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
"Grenade!"

I'm curious to see how well the material holds up to the chain sliding. It may be strong, but is it safe in oil, repeated heat cycles, constant movement.
I really hope it works, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I foresee some kind of strange gooey sludge clogging up the oil filter (among other things).
Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for you, but I'm a skeptic.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have seen, am aware of not using the auto tensioner. The manual system was installed. Seems that a little play is a good thing on the tensioner/chain. The auto tensioner tends to allow vibrations since it is spring operated. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of chain/belt timing methods as they both require tensioners, wear/stretch, and eventually fail usually with catastrophic results.
I could never understand why manufactures didn't utilize gear drives.

As for the materials in this device, I'm sure if it is not better than what was used 30+ years ago, that surely there is something out there by now that is superior!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Many timing chains in the past where not tensioned. trouble was that it took out the gears sooner due to vibration/slapping. so the best way was to apply a tensioning system to help that out. Check out the trouble they had with the pontiac 2000 which did not use a auto tensioner. Striped the belt in a short time. My chev astro uses the old system timming chain and I have over 300,000 miles on it. So I can complain about what I am saying. So what works good at what rpm?

·
Registered
24,211 Posts
you had me till i saw you were usiing ldpe (low density pe)

i can almost tell you how that will end up after a few hot days '

but here

• Maximum Temperature: 176°F 80°C the internal temp of the rear case is almost always at or in excess of this
  • Minimum Temperature: -58°F -50°C
  • Autoclavable: No
  • Melting Point: 248°F 120°C
  • Tensile Strength: 1700 psi

• Hardness: SD55
  • UV Resistance: Poor
  • Translucent
  • Excellent flexibility
  • Specific Gravity: 0.92

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you get it worked out all right the other guide is unavailable You would really have something if you sold the tensioner and both guides as a kit.

CX 500 Deluxe

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
With a better plastic this look viable. Of course I barely know my a$$ from a dark hole in the
ground about cam chain tensioners and such. I am hopefully optimistic that it could be good.

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
The original parts are steel with a rubber lining. I don't expect a relatively soft plastic to stand up in that application.

And speaking as someone who has broken a camchain, I don't think anything designed to extend the life of a camchain by increasing the range of adjustment is a very good idea at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any news on this? So all that's really needed is a better plastic bit? Shouldn't that be the easiest possible part to fabricate? I'm in need of a cam tensioner that isn't prohibitively expensive. :/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts