Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
GL650
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with a finicky solenoid for a while now. Usually I just had to remove the left cover and tap on it with my hand to activate the starter motor. Last night I figured I'd try to take it apart and clean it. I did...and now it doesn't work at all. Headlight still shuts off when starter button is pressed (as it should, from what I gather). I figure either I put it back together wrong, or I wrecked something when I took it apart, or both. Anybody have any pics of the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly process? Or maybe I should just spring for a new one? I don't like the ebay one that you have to modify...mods are not my strong suit. I read one of the old posts about the hard part being putting the two little wires back in...they seemed to go in OK.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Do you hear it click when you hit the starter button? If it clicks, the coil and associated wires are probably OK. No clickie, you may have broken one of the little wires down inside. Maybe it can be soldered, sorta a tight space to work in tho. If it does click, but nothing happens, you may not have gotten the contacts aligned up. Or they are still corroded. The main wire contacts can be reversed inside to present a new face to the washer. The washer can also be inverted to do the same thing.

You might just loosen up the main large terminal nuts, especially the bottom ones and re-tighten. That may shift their contacts enough for it to work.

·
Registered
GL650
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out the solenoid had been monkeyed with by a PO...the little wires had been soldered...anyway I found a used solenoid locally for $10, put it on, fired right up!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Please set up your profile/signature with your bike info?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.