Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to fit anything past the shifter on the left side and just barely past the brake on the other side. i want to bend the headers forward and in and put the exaust under the bike. what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
That's going to be kind of hard to do since they are double walled pipes. You may be able to get a muffler shop to do it for you though.

Sounds like you have a bit of fabricating ahead of you.

·
Registered
979 Posts
what do you mean by you cant fit anything?

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
What you want is a rig similar to what the guy Dave did. I think he goes buy circus something but he got a new job so I don't think he has much time to spend here. What he did was fitted two 90 degree pieces together like an S shape. One on each side and cut and welded them in the middle. Of course he had no muffler so it was loud as hell.

Cutting and welding is always easier than bending double walled pipe.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pictures would help. Are you using the stock header pipes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Need to have the pip go from there and go inwards "Towards the otherside to meet in the middle"

then down, BECAUSE the pipes i have now are to big to fit the shifter "Making Upshifting impossible"

I dont know what do do here How can i even go about doing that?? can i use Plumbing copper/Steel/Brass Pipe?

·
Registered
816 Posts

Need to have the pip go from there and go inwards "Towards the otherside to meet in the middle"

then down, BECAUSE the pipes i have now are to big to fit the shifter "Making Upshifting impossible"

I dont know what do do here How can i even go about doing that?? can i use Plumbing copper/Steel/Brass Pipe?

"Making Upshifting impossible"? Got a pic of the left side with the shifter? Maybe you have the shifter lever on wrong - (or have the wrong one - I noticed a difference between the 500A and the 500Custom, so a pic of that side may help out. This isn't sounding right...

If I was redoing the pipes I would hook up with a muffler shop that could bend the tubes right and make the pieces fit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You are running into the same issue I did. The headers are doubled wall, so you may want to get some flex exhaust and weld it on or get a union to put the two together. Otherwise you could do something silly and make them like mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just because i cant fit any pipes onit right now i wanna know if i should even bother?

will it hurt performance or anything like that also?

·
Registered
191 Posts
as long as you have the header pipes on you should be safe from hurting the engine, it will be VERY LOUD and may or may not run right because of backpressure

·
Registered
948 Posts
as long as you have the header pipes on you should be safe from hurting the engine, it will be VERY LOUD and may or may not run right because of backpressure

He's talking about no pipes - at all.

OP, I think you'll damage your valves and seats, not to mention the risk of fire. There is still a bit of combustion going on in the header. That's if the bike will run at all.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
You can hurt a lot of things depending on what you're actually talking about.

Performance from no back pressure wont be the best.

If the gas gets to lean over a good amount of time it could burn up valves or a hole in the piston.

It's all a matter of what you're really talking about.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
Ask around at places where people with custom bikes hang out (often Harley custom shops). There is usually a muffler shop nearby with someone that understands bikes where people go to when they need stuff like this done. You would end up with complete headers made from automotive exhaust pipe but a good shop can bend up almost any shape you need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All i have on the bike is the part that comes from the piston to the shifter/ back break. thats what im calling the header. And it runs great with no mufflers on it. i just cant seem to find any pipes that will fit above the shifter enough to let me upshift. So im giving up and not even using a muffler. Bad choice?

PS. Sounds nice without em on like a 1969 Camaro 396 haha

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
So you basically have header pipes on it. Well, it will run like crap as your back pressure will suck, it will sound really good until you gun it, then

a) you will have people getting really pissed at you in the neighbourhood, on the road, and anywhere you ride

you will get to meet all sorts of nice police officers that may slap you with a noise violation (based on your location)

c) if you get pulled over (and depending on your location) you may get whacked with a "take it to an inspection station (MTO in Canada would pull the bike)

d) all sorts of problems I can not even list, again depending on your location, as some places dont give a crap, some do (Here in Ontario they would take the bike, pull the plates and fine you)

So, I guess it all depends where you are. Some states will let you build and plate a bike from scrap parts (including, but not limited to swing set parts, farm equipment, military salvage, old V2 booster parts, K-Mart patio furnature [main frame], rusted slinkies, etc), some wont allow it on the road unless everything is "unmodified" (where I am)

Your call

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
All i have on the bike is the part that comes from the piston to the shifter/ back break. thats what im calling the header. And it runs great with no mufflers on it. i just cant seem to find any pipes that will fit above the shifter enough to let me upshift. So im giving up and not even using a muffler. Bad choice?

PS. Sounds nice without em on like a 1969 Camaro 396 haha

That's because you don't have the Hbox on the bike. The hbox would go under the shifter and through the brake and kick the exhaust out slightly sideways so mufflers could clear everything.

What you need to do is get a piece of 15 inch tubing with a slight bend on it at the one end and straight on the other side. And then cut it down to fit on the headers.

Mac use to make an upturned muffler like this and it worked great.

The stock exhaust is similar to this aftermarket one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Running with no back pressure will make the bike suffer in performance. If you do decide to just run headers (I say go for it) you may want to add the washer welded to the bolt trick to add a little back pressure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like this maybe?

Cheers, 50gary

CX500 headers old picture, but the pipes go to the center of the bike under, and exit right after the foot peg. Hope this helps?

YES thats what i am trying to do!!

But how!!

And yea i was going to weld somthing like a washer on the end for backpressure

That wouldnt hurt anything?

And also Since im running Velocity stacks, and a larger jets in the carb, wouldnt i also need to improve airflow in the exhaust?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts