Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never expected I'd be asking this question.

But I walked into Canadian Tire to pick up some carb cleaner thinking I was going to see a huge collection of brand names to choose from. Unfortunately, they didn't have any. All they had was the spray can for external use. Checked princess auto online and couldn't find it either.

So where do I pick this stuff up?

While I'm at in any brand suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure what the retail situation is in Canada, but I buy carb cleaner from Walmart, NAPA, or any hardware store. Gumout is the first brand that comes to mind, though there are others.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I guess with fuel injection carb cleaner spray is really hard to come by. I did manage to find a can at crappy tire, but not the one near me, had to go to one in Pickering. With all the hoopla about aerosols these days its getting hard to find any of the good stuff any more (try finding Carbon tetrachloride these days, same old story, just because its a carcinogen they stop selling it lol).

So I would try one of the larger crappy tires, and if that fail maybe a auto store like NAPA or such. I need another can myself and not looking forward to the hunt. If I find any Im going to buy a case lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So am I looking to buy the spray can or the one that you can soak the parts in? I've seen guides that use different methods.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, myself Im looking for both, the spray cans are hard to find, and the big cans are harder. Going to check some chemical supply places. It seems it getting harder to get any form of 'aromatic organic solvents" anymore. Hard a hard time looking for plexiglass glue (EDC, Ethelene Dichloride) and found its almost impossible to get and had to get Methelene Chloride instead. So many issues with organic solvents be carcinogenic that most are becoming extreamly hard to get retail. Most of the time only a commecial source will have it.

If I find a good source I will let you know, but maybe you will get lucky and a crappy tire or autozone may have old stock

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stern, I'm going to check out Autozone tomorrow. I'll let you know if I find anything.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Great Im making a stop at NAPA and a few industrial places for some leads :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Are you disassembling your carb? Or are you looking for a on engine carb cleaner? Napa and Canadian Tire both sell a

product called Seafoam. White can, with red and black writing, ask for it if you can not see it. Check their website

for a description of the product. Click this link Seafoam

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Have some seafoam, was just looking for carb cleaner for not only doing the carbs, but works great for cleaning a lot of engine bits

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So checked out Autozone and nothing. They didnt really sell anything.

Can't seem to find it anything. Kinda frustrating, I just bought an air compressor and was ready to start.

Any other Canadians have any luck finding a carb cleaning solution.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Still looking, and now its bugging me. going to see if I can find out what is exactly in it and do some more hunting. Drives me nuts that they take good usefull stuff off the market and leave crappy dumb stuff (26,458 varieties of L'pages wood Glue lol)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Still looking, and now its bugging me. going to see if I can find out what is exactly in it and do some more hunting. Drives me nuts that they take good usefull stuff off the market and leave crappy dumb stuff (26,458 varieties of L'pages wood Glue lol)
i went through all this 2 years ago.sometimes you have to accept the fact that its not available in some states/countries for legal reasons

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, just discovered a couple of things from a mechanic buddy;

1 - You can still get the basic stuff, but its no longer called carb cleaner. They changed the name (with the times) to "intake cleaner", and/or"combustion Chamber cleaner".

2 - They use a cleaner that is supposed to be the best for cleaning carbs, in which you submerge the carb in the cleaner (in a basket) and leave over night. In the morning it is totally spotless and free of gum. Problem is, you dont want to get it on your hands as its not nice stuff. He told me he could get me a 9L tin (or 20L pail) for $140.00 ($250.00). apparently it safe for metal, plastics and all other bits in a carb, but not for fingers lol. He says its an acid, but without knowing what its called I find that hard to believe (as almost all acids will attack metals, and I would expect to see a strong base before an acid)

I will do some digging and see what else I can come up with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
For that price, you may want to consider a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. My HF cleaner does a good job, and only cost about $70. I use simple green and water, and dont even have to fully disassemble the carbs. Hell if they are decent I just pull the float bowls, and jets so I can clean the separately.

Works good (better than the carb dip I have), better for the environment, and you dont have to worry about rubber bits.

Or you could do the pinesol, and electric sander method. I think it was bandit that did it that way.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, another new member here. I have recently cleaned my carbs. Dismantled, removed all the brass and rubber, 1st time in sixteen year.

Sprayed them with a leading carb spray brand from Canadian Tire, they looked good. Then I heard from a local Cycle Salvage that Honda makes the best carb cleaner, and safe on rubber. Picked up a can, used it, with-in 10 minute my cleaning container looked muddy. I highly recommend the Honda carb cleaner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just talking to a Honda dealer who said they had the spray can. They recommended it and said you could almost soak your parts with it.

The spray one as good as the soaking one?

I checked a bunch of places (Autozone, Canadian Tire, Walmart, princess auto) my last hope is Parts Source, but Id get the spray if it works the same.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, after taking with Crappy tire head office, they state they DO sell it (in a spray can), its just a matter of finding the store that has it in stock. The stuff in the can is basically the same as the spray can, so soaking in it is fine. It is just that the spray can would cost a lot more based on the actual "fluid" in it compared to a quart tin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts