Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the por 15 thing yesterday.... I got as much of the sealant out as possible (or so I thought) and left it sitting on a table outside over night. I come out this morning..and it's stuck to the table via the petcock hole LOL. I yanked it loose and cleaned it as well as I could at 5am pre-work. I tried to get as much of the dried stuff off the threads as I could is this going to cause me issues in the future?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Well it will cause you to learn. I did that once too. Por recommends that you cover anything you don't want covered. And for the other things wetting down the area before hand helps.

Take your time and get the sealer off the threads. It may take a while. Then put the petcock on and run it back and forth cleaning the threads the rest of the way.

Then you should be fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did that same thing also. Another learning experience was when I thought it might work well to heat the tank with a heat gun to dry the liner on the sides of the tank so it didn't all run out. Well, it worked, but it also bubbled the liner pretty badly. Lesson learned.....just wait for it to dry all on it's own.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that was a waste of 50$......... I get home and check it today after following all the instructions up to and including getting all the water out with compressed air and a hair dryer and the coating peels right out.

SHIT, I guess I missed water somewhere or something. Now what?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Personally, I would do it again right over the coat you just fudged and hope for the best. Pur is some sticky stuff, my hope is that the 2nd coat will seal any flaking or any uncovered area in there. You must have still had some gas residue in there, causing it not to stick. I used a gallon of acetone to flush it out. It got rid of everything. You wont EVER get all that PUR out of your tank. EVER. I'm sorry it didnt work for you. What a stinker.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I would do it again right over the coat you just fudged and hope for the best. Pur is some sticky stuff, my hope is that the 2nd coat will seal any flaking or any uncovered area in there. You must have still had some gas residue in there, causing it not to stick. I used a gallon of acetone to flush it out. It got rid of everything. You wont EVER get all that PUR out of your tank. EVER. I'm sorry it didnt work for you. What a stinker.

I ran water through it as instructed, ran the marine clean, the metal ready, air dried the thing with a hair dryer AND compressor for 2-3 hours. It was DRY. The only thing I can think is I had it outside since I have no garage and it was in the 40's last night, I have an infant in the house so keeping it inside is a no-no. Unbeknownst to me, the can of sealer, was knocked off my makeshift bench into a trash can and is molded to the bottom. I'm either going the carwell route or http://www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm

It's just my luck. I've got everything for the bike ready to run and the tank is hosed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For a while I had a bottle rigged up as my gas tank. It looked cool without the normal tank being on. And it was neat watching the fuel level drop. I should of taken a picture darn it! After getting fed up that I could only ride a few miles I made a larger tank and strapped it to the luggage rack. That was CRAZY. It was odd lookin at all that fuel sloshing around. Had at least 3 gallons in there. Till I went to leave for work in the morning and I had sprung a leak. Man I hate the smell of gas in the morning!

You probably had morning dew in there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a while I had a bottle rigged up as my gas tank. It looked cool without the normal tank being on. And it was neat watching the fuel level drop. I should of taken a picture darn it! After getting fed up that I could only ride a few miles I made a larger tank and strapped it to the luggage rack. That was CRAZY. It was odd lookin at all that fuel sloshing around. Had at least 3 gallons in there. Till I went to leave for work in the morning and I had sprung a leak. Man I hate the smell of gas in the morning!

You probably had morning dew in there.

That's my guess. I didn't seal it back up like an idiot. I should have tossed it in to a trash bag pulled all the air out of it and left it like that.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Interesting.....that to get the old por out?

Minimally, yes.......

Okay, sorry, I couldn't resist. I feel bad for you that the stuff didn't stick right. I'm thinking that the previous suggestion of another shot at it may work. I don't know what else. Kinda sucks, I bet.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I used Caswells last year- worked like a charm. If you are doing it when it's a little warmer outside, just make sure you keep dew, etc off of it. I know the feeling of being anxious to get back on the bike, but a rushed job takes even longer in the end. I can't say I remember the fumes being horrible, either- because I brought mine inside and set it where it wouldn't be disturbed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I was boiling water in there to try and disturb powder coat paint that accidentally got shot up inside the tank and stuck to the top. I was sick of seeing black specks in my carby. I purchased 4 gallons of acetone and let that sit in there. Before that it was muriadic acid. You could cut off the top of the tank and re-weld it onto the bottom. You'ld never know it was done if done right. Actually, that might be your best bet in the long run. But then again another coat of the Pur might do it to. Just dont use anything cheap! The cheap stuff dissolves in gasoline and guess where it winds up. Happns to PUR also if you arent patient enough to let it cure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took my tank to a radiator shop and let them boil and seal the tank. It has red sealer in it the shop said they have been using for years without one tank coming back. I paid $60 for a pro to do it. seemed worth it to me. I'm sure they could seal the tank without boiling it. If you have it boiled, it may ruin your paint. Other side of that I was going to repaint my tank and he boiling process removed a lot of the old paint.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I took my tank to a radiator shop and let them boil and seal the tank. It has red sealer in it the shop said they have been using for years without one tank coming back. I paid $60 for a pro to do it. seemed worth it to me. I'm sure they could seal the tank without boiling it. If you have it boiled, it may ruin your paint. Other side of that I was going to repaint my tank and he boiling process removed a lot of the old paint.
WOW! Wish I had known this last year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! Wish I had known this last year.

See I've had it boiled out once already, there is only one shop in town that would do it, and then wouldn't seal the tank on the inside. They recommended the POR 15.

Honestly I'm about $110 into it now with the boiling and the POR kit. If I get the Carwell kit, and the stripper and the acetone that's another $100-125. Wouldn't it make more sense to just get it done by a "pro" aka the link I posted above? So far this has been the most expensive thing I've had to fix. I don't have access to any welding or sand blasting etc so.... help?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Some shops are cheap others are expensive. Some shops will do anything and other turn you away the first chance they get. It's all the luck of where you live. Most places I have heard of won't even look at a tank for under $100 and then it has to be perfect inside.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Cut bait, buy a different/good tank. That being said I did the POR 15 on two of my bikes and it works well if you follow the instructions to a T. Your undoing was the outside cold temps I'd guess.

Cheers, 50gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts