Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to look at an 82 cx500 today. I got out there (an hour away) and the bike wasnt what I expected, but that isnt a bad thing. I have seen a lot of photos of cx500's but all usually fall into two categories, sport and cruiser. I prefer the sport look, but i dont mind the cruiser look. It was the cruiser style. It started up fine, ran fine, no real problems at all the only thing that turned me off a little bit was the fact that there was MINIMAL rust in the tank. But it was a good price so I couldnt turn it down. I finally asked how the gears were, were there any tranny problems or anything wrong with the clutch? The guy said no ill show you and he took off on the bike. Before I know it hes FLYING back on it, toward an intersection where a truck was coming. He slammed the brakes and went into a slide. the tires finally caught and it bucked him off. He bent the headlight brackets, the headlight itself, the handlebars, dented the tank, and shattered the rear turning signal. he messed himself up a bit as well. I felt terrible, but I saw quite a few things I then had to fix, and didnt know what else there was to fix so I walked away from it. How do you more experienced bikers feel about this, did i make the wrong decision? How would you have handled the situation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I know, I have been having second thoughts about it since I made the decision. The problem is this would have been my first bike, Im an amateur rider, and this sorta startled me. I know the guy was being irresponsible, but it still shook me up a bit. Not cus it was a dump, Ive seen a few, but because it was a dump on the bike id be riding this year.

·
Registered
835 Posts
it's the proverbial 'Have you had your laugh today!?' Thanks for that!

That has to be the stupidest move I've ever heard about trying to sell a bike. I understand the concept of "nobody rides for free" but come on, trashing your bike with a buyer standing by? Wow. You did right. A demonstration ride is always called for - either by you, or at least the current owner. Except if they say it's for parts etc. As for price... well, now it's 50% of original request. Walking away was a good move - if only to dispel the negativity of the situation.

Hope the dummy is okay.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd say $400.00 at most. Probably more like $350.00. I'd wait a couple of weeks and see if he is willing to negotiate the price. How many miles are on it? Also, what model is it, custom, deluxe or standard?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If I changed my oil once can I say the motor has been rebuilt? Such a generic term. I want specifics, if nothing else, to see if the person is a complete air head. An energetic 5 year old could open one of these motors with only a hammer. Although putting it back together may be a bit tricky

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Owwwww !!

I'm laughing but do feel a bit sorry for the guy

and expect hes feeling very embarrassed ( and sore) now.

If your not sure, you should always walk away

and have a think.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's hard to say, I HIGHLY doubt the motor was rebuilt with less than 10k miles on it, unless he ran it out of oil and had to throw new bearings in it... As far as how he treated the bike, it's hard to say, really depends on how long he's been torturing the bike and how hard he's really ridden it, I know I ride mine hard, and the only issue I've had is the stator, but I hit the brakes early so i don't dump it to avoid getting hit...

Don't let his stupidity scare you, if you don't do what he did, you won't turn out like he did... If you don't do stupid stuff, odds are stupid stuff won't happen. I've been on my CX for 2 years, and rode almost every single day last year we didn't have snow, literally, I was riding the day the snow 1st started melting off the roads, and parked my bike the 1st day snow stuck to the roads, and the worst thing that happened to me was I dropped the bike while turning around, and I don't mean wiped out, I mean my foot slipped, and the bike tipped and I stepped off of it, and another time I had a short heavier girlfriend, and to get on she had to step on the foot peg and use it as a boost to get her other leg over the seat, and I wasn't ready for the weight and tipped it again, so after that I started keeping it on the kickstand when she was getting on, my new girl weighs probably 125-130ish, and she gets on the same way, but I can hardly feel it when she gets on there though...

So what I'm saying is, don't let this guy make you think out bikes are unsafe or anything, just because he's a [email protected]$$ doesn't mean you will be too.

The worst thing I've had happen when I stopped early was I had to give it more gas to get to the stop sign... So when I stop, I start stopping early

·
Registered
18 Posts
....and another time I had a short heavier girlfriend, and to get on she had to step on the foot peg and use it as a boost to get her other leg over the seat, and I wasn't ready for the weight and tipped it again, so after that I started keeping it on the kickstand when she was getting on, my new girl weighs probably 125-130ish, and she gets on the same way, but I can hardly feel it when she gets on there though...

Oh the tips you pickup on this forum are priceless.

I hope the seller was OK. I hate to hear about riders who do down. Let this be a valuable lesson, stupidity and bikes don't mix. Just asking questions and really thinking about what should be doing puts you ahead of this guy on the skilled riders curve. I suggest once you do get the right bike for you (be patient) you get some good instruction and practice (that's the fun part). Making good choices on a bike needs to be a reflex not a thought process.

For what it's worth, I think you did OK. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ditto.Anyone daft enough to ride like that what else has he put the bike through?

While reading this post this was my thought exactly, if he rides like a bonehead in front of a potential buyer, how did

he "flog" it at other times?

$500 for a bent and broken bike with questionable mileage (rebuilt at 9000?) and a wacky owner?

I would PASS, keep looking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
MAN!! HAHAHA I have heard some whoppers in my life, but this takes the cake, I would have walked away as well.. I would have low balled him big time because of that crap, man I feel bad for you, and that guy, but he should've been more careful.. Yeah I would just wait man, one will turn up and probably not have an accident prone owner riding it..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.