Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CX build took me 2 years. It's taken me to places and shows and allowed me to meet so many people over the years. The bike has really defined a part of me, and is how many people know me. So, after a great show at the1moto in Portland, OR, I had a designer create a CX500 icon for me based on my build. Then I did this today:

So to all who have answered my questions, helped me with the build, encouraged me, or have met me in real life, I'd like to say Thank You. This community and this build mean a lot to me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You going to have color added to the tat? I'm with GrampaEj regarding tats but to each his own ;)
I thought about having an orange watercolor swash added through the back of it where my orange stripe is, but stuck with the icons idea. I'm already having a CT70 drawn up to add to it, since I just finished that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey MobileAZN, I saw your bike at the ONE moto show a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I am working on a ratty street tracker GL myself, so I looked at yours very carefully. one thing I was very interested in is your custom coolant bottle. would you be able to share how you built it or where you got it? I would like to do something similar since the stock plastic one is kinda ugly. Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hey MobileAZN, I saw your bike at the ONE moto show a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I am working on a ratty street tracker GL myself, so I looked at yours very carefully. one thing I was very interested in is your custom coolant bottle. would you be able to share how you built it or where you got it? I would like to do something similar since the stock plastic one is kinda ugly. Thanks!
Thanks! Ask anytime, I'm mostly on Instagram as well, so you can message me there when a question about it hits you (@MobileAZN).
As for the tank, it's from ebay, I paid about $22 for it. I see it's dropped now. Do a search for: Universal Radiator Coolant Aluminum Catch Tank Overflow Reservoir Black 800ml US

and here is a link to one: Universal Radiator Coolant Aluminum Catch Tank Overflow Reservoir Black 800ml US | eBay

For mounting, I bent a piece of aluminum and used a nut-rivet for a single 6mm allen head bolt. I can take photos of it later if you'd like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey great job on your build! I took a photo of your bike while i was at the show back in February, and have been using it to get psyched on my own build. I was curious what kind of light did you use and is embedded in the rear of the frame. It looks like it might be like a rectangular turn signal or something like that?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey great job on your build! I took a photo of your bike while i was at the show back in February, and have been using it to get psyched on my own build. I was curious what kind of light did you use and is embedded in the rear of the frame. It looks like it might be like a rectangular turn signal or something like that?
Thanks man! The lights are strip LEDs from eBay. They come in yellow or red, and I use the yellow ones.

Red:

Amber/Yellow:

The housing is something I designed and 3D printed to fit into the frame after I cut it off. It is designed to run both sets of wires through, so you could use one strip as a stop light and the other as a turn on each side, but I just soldered them together for a whole unit. There is a link to it in my signature, as I put it on Thingiverse for others to use and modify as they need for theirs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the 3d print file. I probably should have looked closer to your signature, and it might have answered a lot of my questions :) I appreciate use of that space in the frame, and it's a brilliant idea! Are they attached/bolted to the frame in any way? I saw in the description there is an M6 hole for a bracket...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I have a bracket attached to the back that slides into the frame. Then from the outside of the frame (under the seat) a bolt goes through and into that bracket. I'll see if I can get a picture of it for you.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_3353.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180506191458130_COVER.jpg

So, on the end of the 3D printed part, I put a flat piece of metal with a 90 degree bend in it. Then, drilled another hole in that for an M6 rivnut. You can see the threads in this shot. Then I just thread an M6 nut in and she's secure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts