Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been at the cabin the past few days and the old Ariens just aint what she used to be. Wasn't throwing the snow. Got her back in the "warm" garage and both the drive and auger belts are pretty much gone as expected.

Question is: the auger gear box is supposed to be life time lubed unless evidence of a leak. It looks fine and shows no leakage but I cant tell how to check level of fluid. I put a plastic probe in but get very little sign of any gear oil? Am I missing some thing. Should I just flip it up an drain/refill after I get it back together or leave it alone.

Ariens model 932105 aka 8526

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would fill with the proper oil. I looked at the manual online and it actually says the unit can’t be harmed from over lubrication. It shows to use Ariens L-2 but I read elsewhere that L-3 will work and can be mixed with L-2.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep once belts arrive and I have it back in one piece, I'm going to drain it and fill with fresh. May as well do it all here at home. Cabin got a Ft of new over night and expecting another ft tonight. hope the plow guy shows up before the next trip there! thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
Someone older and with more experience with things like that once told me that when riding mower rear ends (basically the same as your auger box) start to leak it is much easier to fill them with grease than to take everything apart to fix the leak. I did that with the one I had at the time and it outlasted the motor....

But that's for something used in warm weather; I don't know if I'd want the extra resistance of having the gears working in grease when it is cold out.

BTW: I have a blower and one of those big scoops you push. When there is only a few inches it is much easier to push the scoop than to horse the blower around so I've only used my blower once this winter and that was mostly to make sure everything worked the way it should. It has been raining here since before I went to bed last night (just turned to snow/freezing rain) so most of the snow we had is gone.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A scoop for a walking path would be fine. to get out to the county rd. is a 100 ft of driveway and about 100 yards of a private lane x a foot of snow. Did my shovel work as a kid. No more. We have a rancher that has a tractor with a PTO blower do most of the snow removal for the subdivision but we are last in line as they are all 2nd homes in our Sub. The county road was also nearly impassable due to blowing and drifting. The state highway wasn't much better. a two hour trip took almost 3.5 hours but I'm home safe

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
Our driveway is maybe 60 feet long and 25 wide but with a fair grade so I like to keep it pretty clear. We only got a couple of inches of snow overnight I would normally expect to just use the scoop but it looks like the freezing rain they forecast has put a glazing on it so I may need the blower to get through it...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fresh snowfall with temps in Mid-20s. Predict ice storm tomorrow with a another round of snow the day after.

yaaaaayyyy……. :snowing::Winter (animated):

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basic maint. Done. New belts just like a new machine. Think these Tecumseh engines are like a twisted twin. They don't die they are murdered. She's at least 15 yrs old and still runs like a champ
Tossing snow 20 ft or better again. Love it.

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
It snowed here most of Saturday and Saturday night, still not a huge amount but worth using the blower yesterday morning. We to go to had a family thing so I just did enough to get the car out yesterday and I have to drive Eccles to an appointment today so I'll finish it up properly when I get back.

BTW: Ours is a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire house brand, made by MTD). I bought it used about 10 years ago and I think I've replaced the belt, the spark plug and one shear bolt + oil changes. It used to get a lot more use when I first bought it.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had about a ft of new on the path back to the shed, plus cleaning up the mess the plow guy left in his haste. Think we must have a new operator. Could barely get the truck in the drive as it was so narrow and he blew almost a ft of crud up on the covered deck about 20 feet all the way to the front door. Was not really happy shoveling that... Also cleared a path to the fire hydrant on the corner lot and cleared the front of the wood plie. now have about 4 feet on the ground and roof at the cabin.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Add a front mount snow thrower to this?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts