Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,260 Posts
I think the calliper is probably still usable.

The piston is still quite dirty so it's hard to guess the reusability of the piston itself.

Try cleaning it with steelwool, you might get lucky if that's road filth and not rust.

Maybe a clean up and new seals and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'd certainly try to rebuild or at least get it apart to be able really see if it's a goner... If nothing else, you will learn how to rebuild one. ( Yes, I'm the kid who took everything apart to see how it worked... and never ever got it all back together
) Sorry Dad.

Having already done a caliper rebuild, I'd chuck that one myself... it's a critical safety component and I don't want to worry about a 35 dollar piston with a gouge getting stuck and locking my front wheel.

what Shep mentions RE: scoring on the piston is critical...

Just my .02c

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You might be surprised, a really good cleaning may be all that's needed if the seals are still intact protecting the interior.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I'll do a cracker-jack clean up, get on the road, and see how she feels. Although one surprise I don't want is dodgy brakes. If it comes to a total rebuild, that's what it will be.
Condoski,iv had a similar problem a few weeks ago.i ended up with seals i didnt need.buy/match your rebuild seals according to piston size.forget part numbers and models

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...tion/page__p__61635__fromsearch__1#entry61635

have a look at the wemoto link within.it shows all our different honda piston sizes,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I'm the kid who took everything apart to see how it worked... and never ever got it all back together
) Sorry Dad.

Haha, i was one of those kids, too.

Whenever i got something new, whether it be a radio, fishing reel, watch, whatever, it wasn`t long before it was in pieces!

You could often hear my mum shout to my dad "Jim, he`s got the back off it already!".

Happy daze...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I cleaned mine in the ultrasonic cleaner and it helped quite a bit. I did buy the rebuild kit, and noticed it worked much better.

Of course then I went and rebuilt a dual piston caliper and am using that instead.

Mike

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Actually it came apart quite easily. I filled the chamber with PB Blaster, wrapped micowaved hot towels around it about a dozen times, did a bleed, and pumped it out. The caliper casting is looking worse than the piston. Initial thoughts are to slow spin the caliper wrapped in a handful of 0000-steel wool, carefully dress the face with a file (someone used a screw driver attempting to try and free it up and left some nicks). My only goal here is to simply have an operational front brake so I can run her up and jockey the bike around. Soaking in Kero is always a good idea with old rotty stuff, and a "poor-mans" way to make pressure treat lumber. I watched the old farmers do it for years. Takes all summer to air it out, but hot dang, it worked.

No wonder those old barns burned so fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts