Honda CX 500 Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Went to start, battery hadnt been charged or bike run significantly. Bought a really cheap ($30) multi battery charger with LiFePO4 lithium battery capabilty and ensured it was withing the rating specified for Amp Hours.

Left on charge for 6-8 hours and it was jicely charged again.

Went to start and found some serious backfiring due to the carb boots not sealing properly. The carbs are struggling to insert both the seals at once. Will appreciate any advice members have on this. I bought new hose clamps which i thought would help but not sure...

Picyure is of the hose clamp loose

After holding them in place the bike screamed to life and my idle adjustment was evident so I readjusted it and it sounded okay udling keeping in mind I had my mufflers just sitting on.

Is welding mufflers on not reccomended for any reason?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Fitted the new brake master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, banjo bolts, copper washers and briefly filled with DOT4 brake fluid. Pumped until air stopped coming back through the master cylinder and cracked open the bleed nipple and bled fluid out a little. No air appeared to be in the lines however I wasnt feeling any pressure after I closed the nipple off. I think the brake pads are clamped on the rotor... when I next get a chance I will investigate further.

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
Also is the ignitech likely to cause my led rear lights to flicker with the engine running?
I can't think of any reason for the ignitech to cause the rear LED lights to flicker. Does the rate of flicker vary with engine RPM?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I was test running after getting some time the other day, lights no longer seem to be a problem, I think it was a loose connection which actually pulled out eventually which will need a longer wire from the m unit. While test running I found i had ingeniously tucked the radiator hose away so neatly that it was clipping the radiator fan 🤦‍♂️

Will rectify this possibly this weekend. Also noticed oil coming from the spark plug recess drain hole in the side of the engine. Read about it on the motofaction website (🙏 bloody bible) and will order the two seals which I believe the PO had red silicon to try and act as a seal. Aside from that the engine ran well with the exhausts roughly in place. 👌💪😁

·
Registered
41 Posts
Went to start and found some serious backfiring due to the carb boots not sealing properly. The carbs are struggling to insert both the seals at once. Will appreciate any advice members have on this. I bought new hose clamps which i thought would help but not sure...
I had the same problem with idling after resurrecting a 500 Euro after 12 years in pieces. My rubber boots had gone hard so I am going to soak them in a 1:3 solution of alcohol and wintergreen oil for a week to soften them so they seal properly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Replaced the radiator overflow tube. Re-ran in a better location. Started and ran but i noticed it running rough. Noticed the exhaust pressure on lhs weaker than then rhs. Disconnected ignition lead on the left and it continued as it was running. Tried the right and it cut out straight away.

Then i also noticed the carb overflowing out the drain hole on the left hand side. Forgot to check if it was also coming out the right.

Thinking it might be time to bite the bullet for vm34s and hall effect ignition to completely overhaul the bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Hey bob, valves were replaced attempting to fix previously and I pumped heaps of carby cleaner and air through the fuel intake and out the valve. So I dont disagree but something has to be broken i think.

I am moving to Adelaide in a few weeks and will try sort it out then. Ill need do some tests, buy the spark plug hole gaskets for the rocker covers and consider buying murrays carbs, hall effect kit from ray and that way I think its more likely to run reliably

·
Super Moderator
13,796 Posts
The valve could be not closing because of dirt/debris between the needle and the seat. If you clean it out and the problem comes back that means that dirt is coming from somewhere upstream, like the petcock or the tank. I can't remember whether you had to clean your tank or if you added an inline fuel filter (a band-aid fix for a dirty tank). It could even be an old fuel line shedding particles.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts