Honda CX 500 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Have the bike close to resdy, oil and coolant in (remember to put the coolant drain bolt in before filling hahahaha)

I have the midpipes from Murrays Carbs, with fleabay new headers, one of the headers is longer than the other, just sizing it up doesnt look right.

Should the shorter header go on the rhs of the bike?

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
SEE BELOW FOR CORRECTION

The right cylinder is ahead of the left one so in order for the pipes to mate with an exhaust collector that has its inlets inline the left one needs to be a bit longer. Also. the pipes have a slight twist so they will only go on one way.

·
Super Moderator
3,721 Posts
Well the left one is longer as Bob said isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Sorry about that. I should have said:
The left cylinder is ahead of the right one so in order for the pipes to mate with an exhaust collector that has its inlets inline the right one needs to be a bit longer.

But don't worry about it. Hold one of them up to the wrong side and it will be obvious that it doesn't line up.

·
Super Moderator
3,721 Posts
If the left cylinder is ahead of the right, i.e. farther from the H-box wouldn't that mean the left side header needs to be longer?

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
They are pretty much the same (except mirror image) from where they turn downward to where they meet the H box. The one from the cylinder that is farther back has to go farther forward before it turns downward.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
interested in buying some exhausts which look similar to this, anyone have some they purchased which they would recommend?

Side note, CXP PHREAK, i followed your air blast through the fuel line to the carbs advice, the fuel seems to have now stopped flowing out the pod filters now, so i greatly appreciate that! I also installed all new drain screws because they look better than the 40yr old ones i had and helped me stop thinking about it as a potential problem.

I will need to overhaul the old petcock and tank, but I have two so I think i will do one in the original blue or red paint scheme and one black custom job. Easy jobs to do later anyway.

But now i have been able to think about it I understand what you were daying and I do have new float needles (i think i installed them too, but i dont remember!) so it makes sense to just be dirt stopping them sealing.

Again I really appreciate all the advice given freely on this page. Massive help the entire way through!

I started it yesterday and it seemed sluggish but at least its going, will install exhaust after my mate welds the midpipes and headers. The copper o rings go between the header and engine casing right?

Also will install the new top two engine hanger bolts I bought, then I will inspect the clutch and brakes before test driving.

Also will grease and oil service points and tension the cam chain.

Any other prestart things I should be checking?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Had the midpipes welded to the headers, little bit difficult but got it done.
20200511_102913.jpg

Too much chrome plating on the headers apparently. Anyway.

Dropped the bike trying yo go for a test run. Snapped the brake lever and need recommendations for a replacement master cylinder and lever please.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
shortened and tidy up of the wiring. Didnt want to cut the green sense wire for the m unit, I might change bars later. Also installed a sneaky mudguard i cut up.

Brake lines and lever/master cylinder on order.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this build, and you have done some good research, and made quality choices.
I am a little confused on one choice.
Please help me understand your main goals that helped you justify the expense of the M-unit.
I only understand it on exotic builds that use the tiny M-buttons (momentary) controls, and M-clusters.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
I have enjoyed reading this build, and you have done some good research, and made quality choices.
I am a little confused on one choice.
Please help me understand your main goals that helped you justify the expense of the M-unit.
I only understand it on exotic builds that use the tiny M-buttons (momentary) controls, and M-clusters.
I chose the m-unit because I hated the wiring mess that I had, and I knew it would be a lot simpler if i bought the m unit and m button (in particular).

I have also been surprised with the basic versuon how many features it has too.

Yes it is expensive and maybe i made a mistake but i really enjoyed working with it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #279

A while ago i bought an inline fuel filter thinking the existing one the PO put in might be dirty. However I inspected it and found it was very clean and also see through (unlike the one I bought). So i had it lying around and I came up with this solution for my crank case breather using the inline filter. I have to laugh because i was very happy with myself hahaha, novice hobby mechanic solutions... you can just see it going into the pod filter. Let me know what you guys think.
Also replaced the very worn out air intake hose clamps.

Here are the new brake bleed nipples i installed on both calipers (thanks go to joe hovell)

This is the second tig weld my mate did inside my small tool shed away from the wind which was blowing the argon gas away from the weld and causing impurities and pin holes to form.

Wiring so far

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #280

Wrap and exhaust in place but not actually secured.
Next to find a neat way to secure it, thinking of welding muffler to the pipe.

Then brakes, the master cylinder arrived today, just waiting for the brake lines.

Plans for after that are new seat, paint the tank, chop the front fender and paint black, buy a new radiator cover and possibly chop the frame tags, but because it is powder coated im reluctant to do that.

261 - 280 of 289 Posts