Honda CX 500 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
While you have that engine apart make sure you get all the sealant blobs out of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,731 Posts
I highly recommend downloading the Honda Common Service Manual from the CX Wiki (link in my signature). The HCSM includes information on how to do a lot of things that are common to many models, including the recommended method for cleaning old gasket material & sealant from mating surfaces.

The method described involves using a stone (a sharpening stone that has never been used for sharpening so it is still flat will do). You start by removing as much as you can with scrapers (single edge razor blades and Olfa type knives work well), then dip the stone in a container of water and rub it on the surface in a circular motion. Keep moving so that you don't wear away the metal in one place and when the water turns dirty dip the stone again to clear it, wipe off the dirty water from the part and keep working. You are finished when the whole surface feels perfectly smooth and flat.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The level of clean I go for ," Would your Mom let you eat off it" okay I was an Automatic Transmission rebuilder, but that level removes any dought.
Best tool I have found for leveling high spots is steel backed diamond sharping stone.thing cost like thirty dollars back in 1984ish and still using it today. You may be able to break one of my trans but they hold the oil inside.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Wow, just found out why the App wasnt working. I have done a whole heap of work on the bike so I will post these now.

First i removed the front cover to inspect the oil pump and its chain. Previous owner stated he had replaced the clutch interestingly. I dont know if this is true and I dont have enough experience to be able to tell otherwise ???‍♂
Anyway I did find the oil orrifice jet was missing so i ordered a replacement.
The oil pump was in great condition ??

So i cleaned that out and heres the after

Note the oil was a little green i think from the coolant i let into the chamber as mentioned previously

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Here was where i was missing the oil orrifice jet.

This was after I cleaned the feont cover. I didnt take apart the clutch push rod/lever thing.?‍♂
Unfortunately i didnt photograph the reinstallation process, I wish I had done ?but i was so worried and focused on doing the job correctly so I forgot! ? I used paper gaskets supplied by aussie cx forum members with copper gasket spray and found that to work really well. Replaced all the orings as recommended by the motofaction guide. I torqued the old bolts as per fsm (later i replaced one at a time with stainless hex insert bolts which looked way way better ?

Anyway I moved to the rear cover and found the water pump impeller and related parts all looking very good inside (i still replaced the acorn nut, copper washer, oring/gasket and all the mech seal parts with new)?

The impellor was extremely difficult to remove from the cam shaft spindle end and I had read how dangerous it was to possibly break the end off the cam shaft so I sprayed metal lubricant into the joint half a dozen times over 2 or 3 hours while gently prying with two flat blade screw drivers with even pressure. This eventually worked but i was starting to worry! ? The motofaction guide was invaluable during this process.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #220

The stator cover was disgustingly dirty, but do damage to the cables was the main thing. ?

Removed the rear cover to expose the flywheel/rotor which I had purchased the puller bolt for, this worked very well.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 289 Posts