Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of these bikes have no fuel filter and you NEED to add one for many reasons. number one reason is rust. 30 years of existence and your gonna have rust. rust in your tank means rust in your fuel which leads to rust in your carbs and after a short while the you get poor performance and then one day ... pop crack bang. oops your bike is done for. well unless your a good mechanic but then you would know not to run your bike like that. 2nd is that when you go to a gas station and set you gas cap down your picking up crud and its going strait in your tank and so is the crap in the air while its open. also not good.

anyways, you need one. to put one on you will have to pretend that your paul tuttle from OCC and go build a custom fuel line with a fuel filter installed.

since there is no room on the original you will have to go to autozone and buy a 2ft section of 5/16ths fuel line, a pack of 4 5/16 hose clamps and a filter.

and not just any filter, you need a high flow gravity fed filter.

i used a duralast ff5/16dl. its huge but i tested a few and this one provides the best fuel delivery for these bikes.

next you will cut the fuel line to around 13 to 16 inches depending on how long you old line is. (if your old one was around 7 inches then go with 15 inches.) next you will cut it in half and plug the fuel filter in on both sides and clamp it in with ring hose clamps. be careful not to break the filter

slide on the other two ring clamps and look at the filter to find an arrow.

the direction that the arrow is pointing,,, that side goes on the carb. put it on the carb fuel tube and tighten the clamp.

then you will need to make a loop with the fuel line like a cork screw making sure that there is no kinks in the line.

do this with the whole line and filter so that the line just barely overlaps its self a points directly at the petcock.

now connect it to the tank and secure the clamp.

good job you have installed a fuel filter

it may take a few cranks to get the fuel line to fill up it will flow nicely.

make sure that the filter is on the bottom end of the loop and that there is no kinks.

you can use zip ties to secure it to the bike.

i will try to post pictures tomorrow. thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
We've been saying this for years. But why are you picking up crap on your gas cap. I always sit my cap on the seat upside down. Do it the other way and it might run away. Never picked up any junk.

And I always run a K&N straight or angled filter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've been saying this for years. But why are you picking up crap on your gas cap. I always sit my cap on the seat upside down. Do it the other way and it might run away. Never picked up any junk.

i dont pick up junk but not every one knows what to do with thier cap. i put mine between the handlebars and fuse box.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My link

i use a real filter one that catches everything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it may look odd but more surface area on the filter means better flow and more miles without changing it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My link

i use a real filter one that catches everything.

That is a lot of hose buddy! I did that once to accommodate a glass filter that you can take apart and clean. But on a non vacuum petcock the extra hose caused me problems. It was like I was running out of gas at about half tank, because the extra hose required more fuel in the tank to push the fuel through the extra line. Most of us use the little filters our friend Blindstitch showed and we do not have a problem with that set up.

The problem came from where the hose dips down, and then has to come back up to the the carb hose barb.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the info and welcome aboard I see you're fairly new. My cap is tethered by a chain and the cap always dribbles gas on my tank, and I don't like that much.

I also prefer the old school black rubber fuel hose, I believe it's more flexible?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
While I don't have my CX anymore, this is how I did mine on it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

Do the Customs have a slot for the fuel cap to sit when you fill up? The deluxe tank lets you prop your fuel cap upright while you fill up, plus it has a chain and spring catch to keep it in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Do the Customs have a slot for the fuel cap to sit when you fill up? The deluxe tank lets you prop your fuel cap upright while you fill up, plus it has a chain and spring catch to keep it in the tank.

Not that I have seen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree it is one of the smartest things you can do but I have actually had problems with the bigger filters like that not giving enough flow for mowers and tractors because they are designed for a cars pressurized fuel system. I have been making sure to get lawnmower ones at Napa that are designed for gravity fed systems.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Couldn't agree more about installing a filter, although the "Quick Reference" thread at this Forum calls for:

Fuel Hose 1/4 for cx500 7mm for gl

Many filters (mine) fit so well in the line that all the clamps may not be necessary. (IMO)

Mine are held 'on' with zip ties and I've not had a problem yet.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I'll stick to spring clips, the wide kind you find in the garden section at Home Depot. I'm always pulling the tank for one thing or another. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) reigns supreme in my book.

Reactions: Craigtel
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.