Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Hope all is well with everyone. I had a little issue that caused me a bit of concern today so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I looked for something on the site regarding this issue but couldn't find anything, I apologize if I'm repeating a topic.

I did a tappet adjustment on my 82 GL500I today and when I removed the valve covers there was a small amount of this yellowish/beige looking sludge on the inside of my valve covers. Is this normal or should I be looking for some sort of leak somewhere. I changed my oil today (was changed last year) and the oil came out looking ok no milkshake, no metal filings, just came out on the black side. The only real leak I've ever seen has been coming out of the weep hole but that seems to go away after riding for awhile.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
The long answqwer is: This sounds like the water that accumulates every time the bike cools. Its up in the valve cover because it is highest and cools fastest. If not boiled off with a longer ride, it continues to accululate. I have a truck that I drive to my shop everyday. The good news is the shop is only 3 miles away. The bad news is years of the short haul has almost ruined the engine due to water and sludge accumulating and not often boiled off. It takes 220 degree oil to boil the water and unless that oil stays hot for a half hour or more, than the cooling engine makes ever more water.

Short answer, Take a long ride and faggeddaboudit.

Capt Frank

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings,

Hope all is well with everyone. I had a little issue that caused me a bit of concern today so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I looked for something on the site regarding this issue but couldn't find anything, I apologize if I'm repeating a topic.

I did a tappet adjustment on my 82 GL500I today and when I removed the valve covers there was a small amount of this yellowish/beige looking sludge on the inside of my valve covers. Is this normal or should I be looking for some sort of leak somewhere. I changed my oil today (was changed last year) and the oil came out looking ok no milkshake, no metal filings, just came out on the black side. The only real leak I've ever seen has been coming out of the weep hole but that seems to go away after riding for awhile.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The long answqwer is: This sounds like the water that accumulates every time the bike cools. Its up in the valve cover because it is highest and cools fastest. If not boiled off with a longer ride, it continues to accululate. I have a truck that I drive to my shop everyday. The good news is the shop is only 3 miles away. The bad news is years of the short haul has almost ruined the engine due to water and sludge accumulating and not often boiled off. It takes 220 degree oil to boil the water and unless that oil stays hot for a half hour or more, than the cooling engine makes ever more water.

Short answer, Take a long ride and faggeddaboudit.

Capt Frank

Thanks for the reply Capt. That makes me feel a lot better!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Ditto to what the Captain says.If the bike has been stored somewhere with high humidity/Damp for any length of time moisture can get into the oil.I'd just change the oil as a bit of TLC

If it persisted then I might look for a problem.

HTH

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ditto to what the Captain says.If the bike has been stored somewhere with high humidity/Damp for any length of time moisture can get into the oil.I'd just change the oil as a bit of TLC

If it persisted then I might look for a problem.

HTH

Helps a lot! Thanks Shep

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.