Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, I have a slow drip of oil coming from the gear lever shaft outlet on the case. It's not huge, when it gets warm it drips more, when I first shut the motor off it's considerable, when it's cool it drips less, when it's cold/not running it doesn't drip. I think it's just an O-ring, but 1. I don't have an o-ring (yet) to replace it 2. I don't want to go digging out the existing if that's not the correct fix and get myself in deep with a larger repair.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Oil seal. You can replace it from the outside.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
Yep. Definitely the oil seal. When you get the replacement remove the shift lever, pop the old seal out and press the new one in (IIRC I used a socket the same size as the outside of the seal for a driver and tapped it with a 1 Lb deadblow hammer).

When you put the lever back on make sure the index marks on the lever and the shaft are aligned so that it won't hit the header.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
and wrap a turn of electrical tape around the splined shaft , oil the inside of the seal , slip it over the now smooth shaft - if you dont you run the risk of cutting the seal lip on the splines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts