Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. The slipstream spitfire fairing is actually working out great. 65 bucks new and just big enough to keep the wind off my chest.

But when you install it, be careful not to over-tighten the wing nuts that come with it. I broke one of the plastic wing nuts off with moderate pressure. Fix is to fireplace the wing nut with a matching thread hex nut I suppose. I will be doing that shortly

pix:

Good nut:

Bad Nut!

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
That was my biggest complaint about the Slipstreamer, the hardware. I also had those break off. If you use a Hex bolt, try to get stainless, to avoid rusting.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also be on the lookout for those wingnuts rattling out on long rides. I've lost both mine but replaced with hardware store bolts. Best use some threadlocker.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ooh yes, a locking washer perhaps.

i foresee a pile of stainless hex bolts of various threads in my future to replace those nasty phillips screws as well

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I bought that same windshield, and returned it the next day, lost at least one of the screws, and the shield wasn't tall enough to get the wind off my face even a bit, was hoping it'd make my helmet not try to fly off, but it didn't...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have one but I took it off because I wasn't getting as much wind on my helmet as I wanted. I'll put it back on in the fall for those chilly evening rides. The mounting brackets are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they're OK if you use ss allen head cap screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts