1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do ya think you'll be able to handle that small bike for all day Joe?....Lol

·
Registered
835 Posts
According to Google maps... it's only an 8-1/2 hour ride from Sarnia.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
According to Google maps... it's only an 8-1/2 hour ride from Sarnia.
Come on over! You are more than welcome. If you wanted to take the car ferry across Lake Michigan you could stay at my house on Saturday and go home on Monday. Or else, add about 2 1/2 hours to go through Chicago. Believe me, I am not kidding.

I have door prizes for anyone who shows up to the Slimey Crud on a CX or GL. I promise to have my GPS working properly this spring, after what happened last time. Of course there really aren't any bad roads around there except for interstates.

As an FYI, there is a BMW Rally near you in Trenton every year. Any bike is welcome.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'm ready. I might be a good test to see how good or bad my gps is on the bike. Just uploaded even more Poi's.
Don,

Maybe you could program in a route and lead then this time ... I have led the last 3-4 times.

It is too early in the year to go by the nude beach though!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Dave,

I'm still trying to figure out the whole thing. Haven't even found the ability to make custom routes. I am working on it. Added about 20 new vehicle icons just to see that most aren't even visible. I use the night screen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there anyone (besides myself) from the Twin Cities that may be interested in going this year (Randall, Surf-or-ski?)??

If so, maybe we can set out as a group.

Greg K

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Dave,

I'm still trying to figure out the whole thing. Haven't even found the ability to make custom routes. I am working on it. Added about 20 new vehicle icons just to see that most aren't even visible. I use the night screen.
Don,

Did you get a computer disk with your GPS to do routes on the computer and transfer the to your GPS??? That is the easy way to do it.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Is there anyone (besides myself) from the Twin Cities that may be interested in going this year (Randall, Surf-or-ski?)??

Greg K

Greg,

That would be sweet if some of you guys made the trip down. If I did it I would probably drive down on Saturday and get a cheap hotel near or around Pine Bluff. Then you could rest up and do the ride sunday. The trek home would be about 2 hours longer than my ride home since you're looking at about 250 miles and I have about 125.

I remember Bear got a hotel one of the times he went. His ride home is a little more than 200 miles. Depending on when Melody works on saturday I would even be willing to meet up at the hotel. But it's her birthday weekend. But she expects to be working. If not she said she wanted to come with.

Maybe Interstater knows a good place by him.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ya, I did get a cheapy motel room on the kinda southeast side of Madison....Think it was $54.00 and was close to the interstate......Think it was only like a half hour-45 minutes from Pine Bluff....Booked it from one of those online places. I forget which one it was now, but, I'll tell ya what......It's a good thing to do, cuz it's a very LONG day of riding if ya hafta travel more than 150 miles, do the Slimey, and ride back to the home-20.

I am hoping to be able to do it again this year, but, not feeling very financially secure at this point in time.......Shall see how things are come later.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Dave,

Seems like they have a pretty good reputation. Guess you get what you pay for. This review sounds like a place I stayed in outside detroit. The only good thing there is there was so many problems with the people that there was a police car parked outside 24/7.

Hotel or Halfway House? I was greeted for an entire week at the door by Jaba the Hut bumming smokes. The room was filthy with a con-caving mattress to go along with no towels or shampoo. The bathroom seeped smoke from the rooms around. The cleaning staff did not change the bedding once the entire stay. The carpet in the room was not only filthy (according to my socks) it was also sticky. Bikes were abundant for the many long term guest without vehicles. The last night of the stay a young out of it gal sat on the door way step crying and yelling for who knows what or who. I suggest staying anyplace but here

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Dave,

Seems like they have a pretty good reputation. Guess you get what you pay for. This review sounds like a place I stayed in outside detroit. The only good thing there is there was so many problems with the people that there was a police car parked outside 24/7.

Hotel or Halfway House? I was greeted for an entire week at the door by Jaba the Hut bumming smokes. The room was filthy with a con-caving mattress to go along with no towels or shampoo. The bathroom seeped smoke from the rooms around. The cleaning staff did not change the bedding once the entire stay. The carpet in the room was not only filthy (according to my socks) it was also sticky. Bikes were abundant for the many long term guest without vehicles. The last night of the stay a young out of it gal sat on the door way step crying and yelling for who knows what or who. I suggest staying anyplace but here
Sorry, I didn't look beyond the building looked nice and it was cheap.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Sorry, I didn't look beyond the building looked nice and it was cheap.

Sometimes you have to question cheap.

I'm half curious about renting a room at the motels down the road by the strip club here. $25 a night and HBO. Curious but I don't want to catch mexican jumping herpes.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Greg K

Hey Greg,

I would love to do this but I think my son may be having his first communion that very day.

Keep me posted though and I'll see if anything changes. Would you ride down Saturday, ride around all day Sunday, and head back on Monday?

Brit

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do ya think you'll be able to handle that small bike for all day Joe?....Lol

I'll try Bear! I was able to get a short test ride in on the project yesterday, it should be good to go!

Here is some of what i have done to it over the past year...

Front fork brace.

Fork seals.

20 wt fork oil.

Stainless brake lines from JDA.

Rebuilt brake master.

Rebuilt calipers with new seals, pistons, and pads.

Used engine from David in WI, but did this to it:

Front cam seal.

Oil pump chain.

Fan.

T-stat.

Cam chain and guides/tensioner.

Water pump seal.

Rear cam seal.

All accessible o-rings, seals, and gaskets.

Clutch cable.

Carbs cleaned and polished (by Larry).

Cleaned and flushed gas tank, installed filter.

Rear brake shoes.

R&R’d the ProLink linkages.

Mufflers from ebay

H-box from a member here.

New windshield.

New aftermarket mirrors.

New fairing edge trim (from Larry).

Installed speakers I had from a GL1100.

Installed DWG remote control amp with Ipod input.

Driving lights.

Grips

Fabbed up highway pegs to work with the Hondaline head guards.

Better luggage latches and handles from a member here.

Saddlemen’s seat covers for front and rear seat (the front seat is from David, it had better foam than mine did).

Now I need to make it my daily driver and start getting some value from it! Come'on spring!

If a couple of you guys from south, west, or north want to stage out of LaCrosse that Saturday night for the Slimey we might be able to make it work, we have a guest bedroom. Running hiway 14 from LaCrosse to Leland takes about 2 hours, so I would hit the road about 7am Sunday, maybe earlier if we want to stop for breakfast somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I'll try Bear! I was able to get a short test ride in on the project yesterday, it should be good to go!

Here is some of what i have done to it over the past year...

Front fork brace.

Fork seals.

20 wt fork oil.

Stainless brake lines from JDA.

Rebuilt brake master.

Rebuilt calipers with new seals, pistons, and pads.

Used engine from David in WI, but did this to it:

Front cam seal.

Oil pump chain.

Fan.

T-stat.

Cam chain and guides/tensioner.

Water pump seal.

Rear cam seal.

All accessible o-rings, seals, and gaskets.

Clutch cable.

Carbs cleaned and polished (by Larry).

Cleaned and flushed gas tank, installed filter.

Rear brake shoes.

R&R’d the ProLink linkages.

Mufflers from ebay

H-box from a member here.

New windshield.

New aftermarket mirrors.

New fairing edge trim (from Larry).

Installed speakers I had from a GL1100.

Installed DWG remote control amp with Ipod input.

Driving lights.

Grips

Fabbed up highway pegs to work with the Hondaline head guards.

Better luggage latches and handles from a member here.

Saddlemen’s seat covers for front and rear seat (the front seat is from David, it had better foam than mine did).

Now I need to make it my daily driver and start getting some value from it! Come'on spring!

If a couple of you guys from south, west, or north want to stage out of LaCrosse that Saturday night for the Slimey we might be able to make it work, we have a guest bedroom. Running hiway 14 from LaCrosse to Leland takes about 2 hours, so I would hit the road about 7am Sunday, maybe earlier if we want to stop for breakfast somewhere.

That's a pretty small list. Maybe next time you could save time by putting the stuff you didn't do. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty good bike.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Wow, I must be getting old! Until you said I sold you an engine I had forgotten all about it.

I do know that I have sold at least 8 engines in the past 3-4 years though so I might not be as bad off as I thought.
(I know I left myself wide open for comments)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts