Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems like my 82 500 has a vibration in the engine . i have heard the timing chains are manual adjustment and valves need adjusting alot. it has no loss of power at all just vibrating where do you adjust the chain at. the valves i know where they are . i dont have a book yet. i heard the manual fans break would this cause a vibration.it is mostly at low rpms

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you don't know when the last time your timing chain and valve tappets were adjusted I'd do it ASAP, there will be a link in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I might be wrong but I don't think that a loose cam chain would cause vibration...just noise...either way as stated above if you don't know when it was last adjusted then definately adjust it.

As well if the fan was broke you'd probably hear it.

From what I understand the most common reason for "vibration" would be either the valves needing adjusted or the carbs needing tuned and synced...or more than likely in your case both !

·
Registered
639 Posts
Adjusting the cam chain and setting proper valve tappet clearance is relatively easy even for a newby. Entire job should take no more than an hour. Do it.

I also think that your carbs aren't synchronized. A quick way to check is to pull off the right spark plug wire and run the bike on only the left cylinder. Note the rpm and then swap, running only the right cylinder. Rpm's should be exactly the same. If not, then adjust the little screw on the spring loaded throttle linkage that connects the carbs to each other.

Loose bolts can also cause vibration. Go over your bike from top to bottom and from front to back, checking tightness of every bolt. Don't go ape, use a torque wrench if possible. If bolts are missing, replace them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The clymer manual says that every 3000 miles (I think) you should retorque the head bolts, readjust the valves, and rebalance the carburetors... in that order. Might as well do it all as well as a timing chain adjustment if you're able- then you'll know that everything is done and right as rain.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The clymer manual says that every 3000 miles (I think) you should retorque the head bolts, readjust the valves, and rebalance the carburetors... in that order. Might as well do it all as well as a timing chain adjustment if you're able- then you'll know that everything is done and right as rain.

There is nothing in the Honda Factory Shop Manual about doing a re-torque on the heads.

On water cooled engines it isn't needed as it is on air cooled engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts