Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m still getting a small misfire (firing back out the intake, not a pop) at stop lights on the right side after I’ve been driving for a bit.

Everything is perfect at idle, and if I feather the throttle for about 10-15 seconds for it to recover it’s good again.

I’ll need to verify the fuel level with a hose on that carb, but I was thinking of buying some new adjustable floats as I have the plastic non-adjustable ones. (At least not easily adjustable)

Would a low fuel level in the bowl cause something like this? 82 CX500C with the T-style fuel feed so when upright both carbs should be equal opportunity to get fuel when not on the side stand.

It’s totally rideable but a bit of a final annoyance I’d love to sort out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '82 cx500, and I am having the same problem. I'm not sure, but I was going to check plugs and cables first. I only take out the carb if I must.

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’ve had the carbs apart tons of times, and it works great at regular idle forever, it only happens to me after riding for a bit and then returning to idle like I said.

I’m considering ordering some adjustable floats as I mentioned but don’t want to if I don’t need them.

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the side stand with a block under it for near level, running, drain open.

top blue mark is about where it goes if I make the bike completely level (I don’t have a center stand or Jack)

right carb.
8BD3AF55-B7BC-4C03-A3C8-EC600D781C92.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The upper line is perfect.
Well that’s unfortunate! I’ll check the left one too,90% sure it’s the right one that’s misfiring though.

what are some other possible causes if not the float level?

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small vacuum leaks maybe.
Boots are mint and sealed well, no leaks I can find in the driveway. It only happens after I’ve been riding for a bit and come to a stop, then it’s 10-15 seconds of feathering the throttle to keep it happy and then it settles again. Super odd.

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
O rings correctly seated? Have you tried tightening the clamps while at engine temp to see if they take up more?
Orings on the intake headers? I can certainly try that. It’s just funny that it’s not a “while hot” situation but an”after riding” as it settles down after a few seconds.

Used OEM o-rings too ($$ - $12CDN each) but I’ll try tightening them when it’s warm and doing a carb cleaner spray check for a vacuum leak which I have done a few times.

I appreciate the suggestions!

pics from install, new ones on top.

·
Premium Member
1982 CX500C (US)
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s my other thread where I talked about the o-rings in a little more detail. The old ones were thick, gooped, etc.

The new OEM rings do clear the flange, but not by much and certainly don’t fill the space in the same way.

But again in the driveway I don’t think I have any vacuum leak from carb cleaner spray tests and the misfires don’t happen there although I’ll try some extended revs and see if I can recreate the problem without riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts