Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eccles wasn't performing well off idle for the last while before I switched to the summer machine so as part of the off season maintenance I'm going through its carbs.

It would be really nice to find a cheap & easy way to give it a bit more bottom end while I'm in there. I know the KLR650 crowd drill out a hole in the slides and shim the needles (Urals have the same carbs and it has become popular for them too) and I remember something on here some time back about putting a washer under the slide needle to raise it but I can't remember whether that helps bottom or mid and couldn't find it with the search (or Google).

So is it worth thinking about something like that or should I just put them back together the way it was?

BTW: GL500 engine & carbs, stock airbox with oiled foam filter, Harley mufflers, Murray's mid pipes and changing from the DSS single wall headers to stock ones this summer.

·
Super Moderator
21,250 Posts
I'm not a fan of this method but the washers used are the same ones used on the mixture screws.

Sirius consolidated sell them in bags of 50 if you don't have any laying around.

·
Super Moderator
2,763 Posts
Email sent to you Bob.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can`t shim the needles by putting a washer underneath the circlip as they will probably be fixed rigidly when you screw down the threaded retainer that holds it in place - they have to have wiggle room to prevent excessive wear on the needle/needle jets and ensure freeplay/vacuum piston action.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have M3 washers in hand (as well as M4 and M5).

Wiggle room is easy to deal with. You can either file down the top of the needle or (preferred) counterbore the screw.

But after correspondence with Larry, it sounds like that wouldn't help my problem. The more I think about it the more I think the problem was mostly old fuel. The gas in the tank was at least 6 weeks old, possibly double that (I don't drive nearly as much since I retired) and it was a lot better after I re-filled the tank so the solution could be as simple as adding stabilizer every time I fill the tank.

I'll finish going through the carbs and put it back on the road long enough to see if that makes a difference and report back.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what Larry said. And I should have realized that on my own too.

BTW: I did more research on what the KLR and Ural guys do. They drill the vacuum passage in the slides to improve throttle response and they claim that shimming the needles helps with starting (I don't understand that one).

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the goo removed from the jets it is much better at low RPM. Not perfect but good enough for the amount I drive it these days. I will definitely be adding Sta-Bil to every tank that I expect to last more than a couple of weeks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts